Loop Videos on iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by zcarter, Oct 5, 2008.

1. zcarter macrumors member

Is there a way to loop video playback on the iPhone?

Thanks,

Zac

2. fat phil macrumors 6502

Last I checked the short answer is no. There's very little control over video playback, it's definitely one of the more disappointing limitations in the SDK.

3. zcarter thread starter macrumors member

Relax

So when you look at an app like "Relax".. How did they do it???

4. fat phil macrumors 6502

I haven't seen the app in question. iTunes is giving me a 5002 error (tsk) when I try to search, so can't even find it...

5. zcarter thread starter macrumors member

I see...

Okay, so it isn't possible to loop it without a slowfade out at the end, but I did figure out that it IS possible to loop it with a fadeout simply by calling play again once the video is finished...

- Zac

6. ybetzer macrumors newbie

Don't you get an annoying flickering when looping ?

My movie starts to flicker the second time it plays - the flickering gets worse as it is played more times.

Do you know this problem ? a solution ? is it just a simulator glitch ?

7. andyfallondev macrumors newbie

Don't know but I have seen this problem in both the example app provided by app AND in my own program. I am also looking to loop video and MUST be able to do it for my app to make sense. You can somewhat hack the movie player to do things like play video non fullscreen etc, but I believe these are so called "Private APIs". A class deconstruction is here:

http://ericasadun.com/iPhoneDocs220/interface_m_p_movie_player_controller.html

Lets solve this issue, to be honest I am very disappointed in the, well relatively pathetic video APIs that are publicly exposed. The reason Apple insists that everyone play movies their way, in a fullscreen landscape view... I mean why??? Its pretty ridiculous.