Loose battery cover on Macbook Pro Oct 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogster, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dogster macrumors member

Well so i took my new Macbook Pro to the apple store and the so called genius told me its a known issue , i said ok so now what and he said that a gasket is being made for the problem and it has magnets in it. ? So he said when the part comes in I could pick oit up at ant store ?? :eek: Oh well this is so weird that we now need a gasket with magnets to fix this problem I called apple and they are issuing me a new laptop !

Doug T

2. south8212 macrumors 6502

I thought mine was bad....then i went to the apple store and they were really bad. I dont really mind it but i will welcome a replacement that fixes the issue!

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Gaskets and magnets???? :O

Some, myself included, have had luck with pressing the tabs on the cover outward. Some say this doesn't work, others have reported it needs to be redone from time to time. In my case, doing it ones appears to have cured the problem.

4. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

I just received my 3rd MBP and this one had a huge gap that would make noise even while on my lap. It also has crooked F keys. I fixed the cover by applying pressure to each little tab. It doesn't slide anymore but I hope it lasts.

I'm tired of returning MBPs (Others had way worse problems) so I'm keeping this one. I just think it's ridiculus that I went thru 3 MBPs and not one was even close to perfect. This one even has backlight issues but not as bad as my old one.

I just hope my battery door solution will last.

5. imagex macrumors newbie

were you within 14 days of purchase?

6. dogster thread starter macrumors member

yes this is my second one

Oh yeah well within the time period and its my second one

Doug:mad:

7. EngenZerO macrumors regular

mine was just every so lightly loose on one side...

all i did was slightly bend the clasps in front inward so it produced a tighter fit for the clasps then slid in the back end and now its tight with no play... found this fix in the macbook section for loose battery cover.

8. robby818 macrumors 6502a

Hey, that totally worked, no more slop. When I first got my MBP, the batteyr cover was completely tight, then after opening up the cover 5 or 6 times I noticed that it started moving around a bit.

I think those clasps get bent open a little bit each time one removes the lid. Especially if you lift up on the lid rather than slide it off. Anyways, simple fix, thanks for mentioning it in this thread.:)

9. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

same thing worked for me! Brilliant.
    I did hear a sort of 'velcro' noise as I did it - I think the strip with the tabs on it is just bonded to the battery door, so I'm not going to do this too often (am very cack-handed, have already stripped the screw for the hard drive bracket)...

10. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

MacBook Pro

My MacBook Pro is perfect! It didn't have any problems except for a slightly annoying problem of static electricity arcs (In a dark room, you can see the arc) and everything else is fine!

11. zevot macrumors member

oh i heard u could swipe the covers with those on the display machines in the store? that would be much quicker for your benefit

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, but that can be equated to theft.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Whats the big deal about the battery cover that moves a little? All you have to do is bend the tabs a little (I guess some tabs are manufactured a little in different angles).

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

My MBP that I bought on December 20 (built in the middle of November) has a completely stable battery cover.