Loose CPU heatsink on MBPr 15" (pictures inside)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by modez, Nov 19, 2016.

1. modez macrumors newbie

modez

Hello, I have swapped my mbpr ssd and opened it for the 1st time...

I have noticed that one of the sockets on the motherboard where the heatsink screws are, is out of its place. The other 3 screws seems fine. You can see that in the image (sorry for the dust, will clean it before closing it back :))

Before doing anything, what do you recommend? is there any special glue for motherboards???

thank you!

Attached Files:

2. modez thread starter macrumors newbie

modez

hello, can anybody help me? is there any special glue for motherboards??

3. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

That's not something glue can fix. I can't tell from the picture, but either the threads going through that hole are stripped or the base for the screw has sheared off. Either way, that's a logic board replacement. Or you could take your chances and leave it as is.

4. leman macrumors 604

I recommend getting to Apple and letting them repair it under warranty.

5. modez thread starter macrumors newbie

modez

6. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Oh wow, I haven't seen that before. What are your CPU temps under load?

I don't think a glue can fix it. The ideal solution would be to inspect the hole on the logic board and find a proper long nut that can accept two screws from each side. The first would attach it to the board and the second will hold the heatsink.

Another option would be to solder the existing piece back onto the board, but I don't think it'll be able to withstand constant force from the heatsink.

If you live in the US, you can also try a flat repair rate option. Apple will replace any required components as long as the damage would be covered under regular warranty if you had it.

7. Spoony Bard macrumors regular

It might, it might not. No one would know, since no one would (or should) use epoxy to try to hold down a heatsink retainer. That tiny surface area in addition to constant pulling force? It won't hold. Don't waste your time and money with this.