loose element inside rMBP13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prism, Nov 5, 2015.

1. prism macrumors 6502a

When I tilt my 2015 FT rMBP13 from side to side, I hear the sound of and feel the thump of something loose inside. It feels like a block of something somewhere around the middle, close to the hinge?
    Anyone else have this or, even better, know what it could be?

TIA

2. numberfour macrumors regular

numberfour

Yes it seems to be on every 13" 2015, have been discussed in a few other threads ;) Not sure what it is though

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

can't hear anything on my 13" 2015 ....

4. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Im writing this from my 2015 13" and I can't reproduce the issue.

5. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

You need to shake it with the display open or closed and holding it from left / right edges. It seems to be coming from the display hinge but I could be wrong.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why would you shake your open laptop?

For the record, during normal usage mine doesn't "thump" or sound like anything is loose inside.

7. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

did that.
    Still nothing moving inside :confused:

8. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont shake the laptop, its just an observation im making...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Open it up and see if there is anything loose. If you're not really jazzed up about that, take it into Apple for them to look at it.

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I wouldn't open a 2015 MBP, since it isn't supposed to be user serviceable and it still is covered by Apple Care.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you have screw drivers to do it, why not. But then, I used to build, repair computers for a living, so I'm a little more at ease at taking computers apart.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

But you said right here: "You need to shake it with the display open or closed and holding it from left / right edges."

13. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Errr yeah, when I tilt my laptop that click sound occurs and I do tilt my laptop, for example when I stop using it and take it off the desk to put it in my laptop case or when I just have to carry it from one place to another (which can be with the screen open). Otherwise no, I dont shake it for the fun of it if that is what you are insinuating.

14. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I can do this on my 15" 2015 MBP and can confirm that I hear this sound with the display open or closed. It doesn't sound heavy, nor does it sound like it travels far. I don't need to shake it or do it very fast. If I hold the laptop out in front of me and just rotate it, the sounds occurs at about 75 degrees of rotation.

15. prism thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thats exactly it, its more like a click and you feel something moving inside. The fact that not everyone with a MBP seem to have this makes me think that there is something loose inside. I dont believe that it is anything serious but I would be curious to know what is causing this...