Loose ethernet port - taking to apple store tomorrow?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by f1d, May 23, 2008.

1. f1d macrumors member

Hey guys!

A quick question. The ethernet port on my macbook is loose (they slip out when I move the thing!) so Apple support booked me a slot at the genius bar to fix it.

I just wondered, will this be a simple fix? Or are they going to have to replace the macbook?

If they do, will they let me keep my HDD?

Just wondered, would be a hassle (and a while I presume) to have to either transfer all the data over and what not!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Don't know exactly what they will do but it's always a good idea to do a backup before any kind of repairation to the computer.

3. f1d thread starter macrumors member

True, but what do you back up a HDD on! (Aside from another HDD, I don't have a spare one to hand at the moment heh).

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

You just answered your own question! :p

They do offer a data transfer service, but they charge for it (at least in the UK).

5. f1d thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm.

Do you reckon if they say 'nope we're going to have to replace it' I can say, well actually can I come back another day then? (So then I can get another HDD and backup to my liking)?

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

My idea is to backup before they ever start touching it, since you may never know. If you can copy at least your documents. The system software and the application you can always reinstall if something goes wrong. I know I am a bit paranoid... :D

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It's your world. They'll do whatever you want them to do. Could be a replacement part or it could be a new MB. In California, they'll do transfer of data for "free" and it takes about (1) hour at the most. Good Luck. :(

8. radellaf macrumors newbie

When they replaced my MB they just swapped hard drives & RAM for me, no copying required. Both had been upgraded from stock 1st day I had the thing.

...but, they'd been dicking me around for a couple of weeks on a new MB's repairs, so that may have been their version of a favor. ($$ would have been much better, of course)

9. balk macrumors member

You should make backups anyway if you want to keep what's on your drive. Buy an external USB drive and let Time Machine do the rest. After the first backup (takes a while), run to the store and get it repaired. If they swap the machine, you can connect your USB drive and copy back all your stuff. (or put back the latest Time Machine backup, but that takes longer)

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That reminds me, I haven't done back-up in two weeks! :eek: