Loose HDMI connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mossme89, Nov 25, 2015.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

On my mid 2014 MBP, I've noticed that when I plug an HDMI cable into it, the connection is very loose. If I so much as bump my laptop, it interrupts the connection. Anyone else have this issue?

I've tried numerous different cables. Is there something wrong with my MacBook or is this something that's relatively common?

2. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

My HDMI connection is just right, but my Thunderbolt ports are loose.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you've tried different cables it's gotta be something on the port itself, so best to take in for assessment. Do you still have AppleCare?

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

I had that problem with my two Macs - my displays are on arms. I have tried 3 brands, plus the cheap unit that shipped with an old Comcast box. 3 were "loose" and one fits perfectly - on my Macs and on my HDTV. The brand that works and fits are the AmazonBasics cables (with Ethernet, too) - I tried one, it worked, and I bought a "bundle" of varying lengths and now have them dialed into everything, including between a Mini Server and a Dell display on an arm that I rotate/move several times each day. They've never slipped/popped out.

The Rocketfish cables I had fell out most of the time, and I sent them to Free Geek a while ago... Good riddance.