Loose Headphone Jack??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by misterwilson, Oct 7, 2015.

1. misterwilson macrumors member

Charlotte, NC // Philadelphia, PA // New York, NY
    i got a launch day 6s+ and my headphone jack is super loose. It holds the connector in place, but it can be removed with little effort (like by a pants pocket). I imagine that it makes sense, similar to the MagSafe adapter, but I keep having nightmares of my music blasting out of my pocket at the most inappropriate time.

Anybody else notice the change?

2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Nope. Mine (on a 6s) is tight.

C

3. rlucky macrumors newbie

Hi, I too just received my Space Grey 6s+ and had the same issue. It just seemed too...loose. It did not take much effort to remove the headphones from the jack. I tried various headphones with the same result. I also took the same headphones to my previous iPhone 6 and a colleague's iPhone 6s (not plus) and they fit snug with the slight "snap-in" of the jack. You should be comfortable enough to let your phone dangle upside down and my 6s+ never felt "snug" enough for me to try it.

I took my 6s+ to the Genius Bar and the rep ended up bringing out a replacement and it felt slightly more snug but was still somewhat loose. Then the rep and I walked throughout the Apple store and tested numerous headphone jacks. To our surprise, the 6s models and iPods were nice and snug as expected. Just about all but one 6s+ were loose and the rep was baffled by this and commented that this may be due to some sort of defect... I ended up keeping the replacement for now since it was "more snug" than my original 6s+ but the rep will call me and let me know when the next shipment comes in so he can contact me and let me know when a 6s+ with a "more secure" headphone jack is available.

I've never had a headphone jack feel this loose before; as if it were held together by a weak magsafe plug. I think everyone with a new 6s/6s+ should test their headphone jack and post their results here.

I'll post any further developments in my quest for a more secure headphone jack.

Regards.

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My 6s Plus has this issue as well. It's not major... but the jack is loose enough that it can slide out a bit quite easily, enough to be at point where one or both channels cuts out.

I've also got a slight dark spot near the bottom-left of my display. I'm on holiday in Singapore, so I'll be paying a visit to an Apple Authorised Service Provider soon.

5. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I haven't tried the headphone jack on my last three iPhones. They might all have been faulty...

6. DPtheKid macrumors member

DPtheKid

Had the same issue on my second 6S+ took it and got a fresh one

7. rlucky macrumors newbie

I received my third 6s Plus earlier this week and I am happy to report that my phone "snaps" in the headphone and it definitely takes a lot of effort to remove, so I would say that it meets my expectations for headphone jack "functionality". I mentioned this observation to the Apple store here in Emeryville, CA and also to the Tier 2 technical rep on the phone since they escalate all bugs and defects (according to the rep on the phone) for further assessment and review. Cheers.

8. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Well, I got my 6s Plus replaced today at an AASP in Singapore. The headphone port is a bit stiffer than with the original, not quite as good as my previous iPhones, but good enough to satisfy me.

Replacement has the exact same dark spot (plus a little extra one on the right, but I'm not bothered). Seems that almost all of these have it; appears to be where the screen clips are making contact with the backlight layer. I've seen a few demo models showing the same issue.

On the plus side, my replacement unit has a TSMC chip in it (not that it really matters).