"Loose" hinge / bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Jan 7, 2009.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I tried searching but only found things on the iPhone for some reason.

Has anyone else had a problem with the hinges/bezel on their 15" MBP being "loose", and the glass being too heavy and closing itself at certain angles? I keep running into it, and can't seem to use it the same way I would use my macbook. Is this a common problem, will a replacement fix it, etc?

2. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

3. mstout macrumors member

4. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I feel as if people are confused in your thread. If you go to the Support posts in the website above's argument, people are still having issues.

I just bought mine yesterday, Tuesday the 6th, and I'm having the issue.

"the hinge was in issue in the first 2000 or so made, now its fixed" - from your thread..

If that was true, how would one purchased yesterday have the issue? :p

5. mstout macrumors member

shamash, I just started the thread. I'm no expert. Seems like people are all over the place on the hinge. Bummer. Such a simple thing. I hope people keep reporting in. Sorry you're having problems. I'd make them take it back if you're not happy.

6. DirtyDan macrumors member

Wahhhhh! I'm so disappointed I can't use my laptop at more than a 45 degree angles. I mean the only way I can work is with my pointed nearly straight up so I can type forwards.

Now that extra art easel is bought is useless!
    :eek::rolleyes:

/sarcasm

Honestly who uses their computer in a way that the hinge doesn't hold up? I can put my hinge anywhere I want in any position I find I will ever need and there is no problem.

7. carferse macrumors newbie

when you pick up the laptop from your desk to move around, the lid closes magically!

"Ohhhhh what a tremendus error you are no supossed to lift the notebook from your desk" ... if so... I would have acquired a desktop no?...

You can keep your sarcasm and your machine (in case you have one) a be a fanboi or stand real... these machines have a lot of flaws for a machine that cost 1999$ and more

-the hinge
    -the flickering issue at low brightness
    -The light bleeding

8. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The lid doesn't close when you pick it up and move, that's ridiculous. It only closes when you point it up around 50 degrees or more. It will move if you move and practically throw it, but not in any normal circumstances.

The complaints on this board are really astonishing. Honestly, I get the feeling that some people just have to complain about something just to have something to do.

9. carferse macrumors newbie

I complain for things that didn't happen in the previous iterations of mbp.

This machine sells for 1999$ at minimum, I think we deserve some quality control.

10. mstout macrumors member

I'm almost sorry I asked this question. A lot of people have posted great thoughts, helpful info (to me at least) and their honest feelings about this. I applaud them. Then there are some who make fun of the other people posting. I'm new to this site, but that sucks. To the people having issues, this isn't a small thing. I would suggest that for those who mock people for their issues, just remember that at one time or another you are probably also posting some issue you are having with your machine. We all need a little advice now and then. I think it's great that people are taking the time to share their experiences. Just seems like some tend to get mean and then hide behind their keyboards. I'm going to try to keep it nice. We're all macheads. And that is a great thing.

11. Horst Guest

It's discussed at length on the Apple forum as well.

Apple and the fan boys call it a feature . :rolleyes:

12. bcaslis macrumors 68020

What specifically is wrong with it? It doesn't close when you move it like you stated. It does close when put at an extreme angle. It does move when thrown across the room. Neither seem like valid complaints to me.

13. carferse macrumors newbie

For me this is a problem, for you obviously isn't.

I only say that the actual hinge is far more weak than in the previous model.