Loose Hinge on MBP 15" late 2008 (Visiting the Genius Bar)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Guiguiga, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

Well, as many as you guys already know the hinge of the uMBP, 15" specially, are too loose for most of us. I received mine Wednesday and noticed that when I lifted the laptop to take a picture during the initial setup. I called apple and scheduled a Genius Bar visit for today.

There I went, was helped on time and the game started. The Genius gave his "knowledgeable" opinions to cover apple's ass and not take the return, and I gave them many examples why it shouldn't be loose like that.

At the end there was nothing they could do to tighten it up. Replacing it would only waste may time, because all of them are like that. Now I have a very expensive computer which I can't return without eating the restocking fee.

I believe we are gonna have to live with that. :mad:

I found a website called www.fixthehinge.com which I would recommend whoever has this issue to sign the petition.

If you guys have/had any experience to share please let me know.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Call AppleCare and complain. Be kind, but firm that you want it fixed. Stress how you aren't satisfied with your purchase. Do that and watch miracles happen ;)

3. Jottle macrumors 6502

There is no fix. They designed the hinge this way. It's weaker than all previous ones. It sucks, but it's something you either live with or bite the bullet and return,

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

FWIW they managed to fix mine...relatively. Its not completely solid like the unibody macbooks or previous gen MBP but it doesn't flop over easily at all and requires a decent amount of force to make it budge

I think its due to a combination of the heavy glass plus the wider opening angles