Loose hinges on Early2009 17" uMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by toke lahti, Jul 2, 2011.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

I'm using speck's SeeThru and it adds a small amount of weight, which is enough for the lid not to stay on it's position when lying down and having mbp on the legs, when the lid should be front of upright position.

I'm opening the mbp next week to add some RAM and clean the fans from dust, so I could tighten the hinges at the same time if it's possible?

Didn't get answer from there:
    http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/48185/Is+it+possible+to+tighten+the+hinges+on+17"+unibody

Any experience here?

2. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Just checked Apple Technician Guide about it.
    Seems to be that there's some very secret counterbalancing system that even the Guide doesn't explain about.
    So I guess adjusting the drag is out of question...

3. trekster macrumors member

I had the same problem with early 2k9 unibody. I removed the laptop case, took it to the apple store and they replaced it.

4. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

So after applestore hinges were tighter than before?
    Even so, that when you are lying in bed of sofa and have knees bended and mbp on your lap, bottom piece almost straight up and the lid almost horizontal, the lid stays in its position?
    I asked this from Authorized Service Provider and they said the hinge should be as loose as it is and they can't "tune" it to other than Apple's original intention.
    Although they have no knowledge over this more than what they read from Apple Technician Guide.
    Sadly there's no Apple Store in my country...