Loose internal video cable on 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shellac, Feb 6, 2009.

1. shellac macrumors newbie

So I have a 233mhx core 2 duo 17" MBP that I inherited (for free) because of video issues.

The problem is that once in a while, like every couple days, the video on the LCD becomes scrambled. All the while, video output via the external DVI port is fine. If I press firmly on the bottom of the laptop, just behind where the battery is, the display goes instantly back to normal. So what I am figuring is that the culprit is a loose internal video cable.

I took the MBP apart and on gross inspection, there appears to be nothing wrong with the cable. :confused: I should have taken some pictures, but does anybody experienced in supporting these have any ideas about how to secure the cable more firmly? I did not detach the cable in fears of making a tolerable problem worse. The cable appears to have some sort of special translucent tape over it, securing it to the motherboard, as do many of the other connectors.

Would greatly appreciate some advice. When I took it to the genius bar, they wanted to charge me something astronomical just to look at it, and like a grand if they need to replace the whole LCD (unnecessary IMHO). The thing is out of warranty.

thanks,

shellac.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds like you got the 8600GT GPU failure. Search around and you will see that it's a widespread problem. Call up Apple and explain to them or take it into an Apple Store and they will run a GPU test on it. If it fails, they will likely replace your logic board for free, even if the AppleCare has expired on your MBP.

BTW, I think you meant to say 2.33 GHZ? 233mhz computers are pretty old ;)

3. shellac thread starter macrumors newbie

So this computer has the ATI Radeon 1600 chipset so that can't be the issue here.

I think the problem is a loose connector because is solved instantly with mechanical pressure. It can occur at anytime and does not seem to be related to heat, etc. Another reason it cannot be the GPU is that the external video never has any problems.