Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

splizaat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Oregon
So I was thinking today after I finally found a bumper that the darn thing just fits too loose and I can't stand having it flop around the outside of my phone...

well -- heat shrinks plastic/rubber....so I put the bumper on my phone and turned my heat gun on, and was VERY careful not to get my phone extremely hot, but waved the heatgun back and forth for a few seconds right near the headphone whole (where the rubber goes all the way across) and it actually worked.

The rubber near the antenna hole shrunk just enough to make it much tighter on my phone....but be careful -- do NOT melt your phone. I was very careful of my phone and took my time to make sure no problems hahaha

Hopefully this helps someone else!

-Matt

PS - I take NO responsibility if you ruin your phone doing this....or melt it. Do this at your own risk.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I would heat the bumper off the phone and hope it shrunk down to make a tight fit on the phone.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
Im not going to do what OP did. Damn, you got balls man :D

Ill try to boil mine on hot water

splizaat

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
Oregon
lol u guys are a bunch of wimps...you don't have to get the bumper 1200 degrees LOL...just warm it up and it'll shrink...

musr

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Anyone else try heating their bumper? Thinking of taking mine off and leaving it in the car while I'm at work during one of these 90 degree days...

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
I wonder if my hair dryer would work. It's really strong... :confused:

Hmm... in the time it took me to pose that question I could have tried it... :cool:

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Was anyone else's bumper not loose? Mine feels like part of my iPhone.

Mine fits fine as well.

It SHOULD be part of the iPhone. It's like... "hey Apple, your forgot a peice, a very important peice that makes the phone actually WORK"
:confused:

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2005
Tried this today using a different method with a somewhat less successful results. No heat gun, so i used my toaster oven. Baked the bumper by itself without the phone. It shrunk it alright, but almost too much. The volume buttons aren't quite aligned now, the mute switch almost doesn't fit in the hole and it is slightly "off" somehow. But at least it is snug :)

I'll probably end up buying a new one eventually and putting thin strips of tape inside it or something as a way to make it fit more snug.

komiothebeat

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Corona, CA
this seems as smart as putting on a pan of boiling water and being VERY careful while dunking you phone + bumper in there.... be sure not to get it on your phone... just the bumper

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
I wonder if my hair dryer would work. It's really strong... :confused:

Hmm... in the time it took me to pose that question I could have tried it... :cool:

it'll take a bit longer but a hair dryer will work. just need patience.

if you guys are worried about heating up the phone too much, put a towel around the front and back so it doesn't heat up the phone too much.

too all the other smart ass commnets, you guys need to chill out a bit. great idea about a simple issue and you post your dumb ass comments...why not make another antenna thread. :facepalm:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
if you guys are worried about heating up the phone too much, put a towel around the front and back so it doesn't heat up the phone too much.

too all the other smart ass commnets, you guys need to chill out a bit. great idea about a simple issue and you post your dumb ass comments...why not make another antenna thread. :facepalm:

They're not dumb ass comments, the OP and anyone that thinks doing that to your iphone with a heat gun is ok is a dumb ass.
Grow a brain:rolleyes:
Its like using a shotgun to kill a fly.....

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
They're not dumb ass comments, the OP and anyone that thinks doing that to your iphone with a heat gun is ok is a dumb ass.
Grow a brain:rolleyes:
Its like using a shotgun to kill a fly.....

how about not putting the bumper on the phone while heating it up? or not using an intense amount of heat. it probably only take a tiny bit amount of heat to get it shrinking.

the put the phone in the oven is a dumb comment. in a "tips, help and troubleshooting" section, it adds nothing to it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
how about not putting the bumper on the phone while heating it up? or not using an intense amount of heat. it probably only take a tiny bit amount of heat to get it shrinking.

the put the phone in the oven is a dumb comment. in a "tips, help and troubleshooting" section, it adds nothing to it.

Obviously taking the bumper off the phone while heating up the rubber would be a better idea but thats not what the OP posted.
What I said above was a joke/sarcasm, get a sense of humor if you dont have one:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.