Loose iPhone4 Bumper?? I Fixed it!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by splizaat, Jul 2, 2010.

1. splizaat macrumors member

So I was thinking today after I finally found a bumper that the darn thing just fits too loose and I can't stand having it flop around the outside of my phone...

well -- heat shrinks plastic/rubber....so I put the bumper on my phone and turned my heat gun on, and was VERY careful not to get my phone extremely hot, but waved the heatgun back and forth for a few seconds right near the headphone whole (where the rubber goes all the way across) and it actually worked.

The rubber near the antenna hole shrunk just enough to make it much tighter on my phone....but be careful -- do NOT melt your phone. I was very careful of my phone and took my time to make sure no problems hahaha

Hopefully this helps someone else!

-Matt

PS - I take NO responsibility if you ruin your phone doing this....or melt it. Do this at your own risk.

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

I would heat the bumper off the phone and hope it shrunk down to make a tight fit on the phone.

3. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

Was anyone else's bumper not loose? Mine feels like part of my iPhone.

4. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Im not going to do what OP did. Damn, you got balls man :D

Ill try to boil mine on hot water

5. splizaat thread starter macrumors member

lol u guys are a bunch of wimps...you don't have to get the bumper 1200 degrees LOL...just warm it up and it'll shrink...

6. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

No cracks in the glass or LCD bleeding yet then?! :eek:

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Mine fits fine and has since the first day I put it on.

8. musr macrumors newbie

Anyone else try heating their bumper? Thinking of taking mine off and leaving it in the car while I'm at work during one of these 90 degree days...

9. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I wonder if my hair dryer would work. It's really strong... :confused:

Hmm... in the time it took me to pose that question I could have tried it... :cool:

10. chim9999 macrumors regular

chim9999

mine fits fine, too. i don't like the built in buttons that rattle a little, but other than that, it's good.

11. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Mine fits fine as well.

It SHOULD be part of the iPhone. It's like... "hey Apple, your forgot a peice, a very important peice that makes the phone actually WORK"
    :confused:

12. millerrh macrumors 6502

Tried this today using a different method with a somewhat less successful results. No heat gun, so i used my toaster oven. Baked the bumper by itself without the phone. It shrunk it alright, but almost too much. The volume buttons aren't quite aligned now, the mute switch almost doesn't fit in the hole and it is slightly "off" somehow. But at least it is snug :)

I'll probably end up buying a new one eventually and putting thin strips of tape inside it or something as a way to make it fit more snug.

13. hipvamore macrumors regular

14. randomerratum macrumors 6502

Mine was pretty loose at first but literally seemed to "shrink to fit" after a few hours of use and handling. Now it's nice and snug.

15. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

this seems as smart as putting on a pan of boiling water and being VERY careful while dunking you phone + bumper in there.... be sure not to get it on your phone... just the bumper

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why didnt you stick the whole iphone 4 with the bumper in the oven?

17. King Luis macrumors 6502

it'll take a bit longer but a hair dryer will work. just need patience.

if you guys are worried about heating up the phone too much, put a towel around the front and back so it doesn't heat up the phone too much.

too all the other smart ass commnets, you guys need to chill out a bit. great idea about a simple issue and you post your dumb ass comments...why not make another antenna thread. :facepalm:

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They're not dumb ass comments, the OP and anyone that thinks doing that to your iphone with a heat gun is ok is a dumb ass.
    Grow a brain:rolleyes:
    Its like using a shotgun to kill a fly.....

19. King Luis macrumors 6502

how about not putting the bumper on the phone while heating it up? or not using an intense amount of heat. it probably only take a tiny bit amount of heat to get it shrinking.

the put the phone in the oven is a dumb comment. in a "tips, help and troubleshooting" section, it adds nothing to it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Obviously taking the bumper off the phone while heating up the rubber would be a better idea but thats not what the OP posted.
    What I said above was a joke/sarcasm, get a sense of humor if you dont have one:rolleyes: