loose magsafe cable blown macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by s1mmm01, Oct 10, 2013.

1. s1mmm01 macrumors newbie

My macbook pro (2008 vintage) power supply recently had a loose wire , it worked if i wrigged the cable near magsafe. Unfortunately it seems i did this too much as there was a small popping sound and macbook is now dead. Could it have blown the board or is there a fuse inside i can replace ? Ay help appreciated

2. Doward macrumors 6502a

Likely if you open it, it blew the connector from the either the audio/power board-to-ribbon-cable, or it blew the other side.

You could try to open and see, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you need a new logic board now.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What country do you live in? If the US, perhaps take it to an Apple Store?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

There are no fuses. If there was a popping sound, it was probably a capacitor blowing up. You'll need a new logic board almost for sure. Unless the popping sound was the power supply itself. You really didn't say where the popping sound came from.

5. s1mmm01 thread starter macrumors newbie

sound wasnt loud . A couple of pins in power socket are slightly blackened I think the wires inside cable touched Can power socket be replaced ?

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

not really, most likely a magsafe board replacement more than a logic board replacement.

7. s1mmm01 thread starter macrumors newbie

is there any way to test the I/O power board with a circuit tester ?

8. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Chuck is probably right. Take it to the Apple store.. However if the logic board is gone then it would probably cost more to fix than it is worth.

10. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Depends on the model and what kind of circuit tester, but yes it is definitely possible! What model # is it? Unibody or not, replacement I/O or Magsafe boards are $10-40, worth a shot fixing it yourself than taking it to apple and having them charge an arm and a leg. Apple is probably going to charge $200+ for repair, perhaps more.