Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s1mmm01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
My macbook pro (2008 vintage) power supply recently had a loose wire , it worked if i wrigged the cable near magsafe. Unfortunately it seems i did this too much as there was a small popping sound and macbook is now dead. Could it have blown the board or is there a fuse inside i can replace ? Ay help appreciated

Doward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2013
Likely if you open it, it blew the connector from the either the audio/power board-to-ribbon-cable, or it blew the other side.

You could try to open and see, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear you need a new logic board now.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
There are no fuses. If there was a popping sound, it was probably a capacitor blowing up. You'll need a new logic board almost for sure. Unless the popping sound was the power supply itself. You really didn't say where the popping sound came from.

s1mmm01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
sound wasnt loud . A couple of pins in power socket are slightly blackened I think the wires inside cable touched Can power socket be replaced ?

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
There are no fuses. If there was a popping sound, it was probably a capacitor blowing up. You'll need a new logic board almost for sure. Unless the popping sound was the power supply itself. You really didn't say where the popping sound came from.

not really, most likely a magsafe board replacement more than a logic board replacement.

s1mmm01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 10, 2013
is there any way to test the I/O power board with a circuit tester ?

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
is there any way to test the I/O power board with a circuit tester ?

Depends on the model and what kind of circuit tester, but yes it is definitely possible! What model # is it? Unibody or not, replacement I/O or Magsafe boards are $10-40, worth a shot fixing it yourself than taking it to apple and having them charge an arm and a leg. Apple is probably going to charge $200+ for repair, perhaps more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.