Loose ram levers in 15" MBP (Late 2008)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plaurids, Jan 6, 2014.

1. plaurids, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

plaurids macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have a 15-inch, late-2008 MacBook Pro with 4GB of RAM divided in 2 banks of 2GB each, running OSX 10.9.1 (Mavericks). A few months ago, one of the memory banks started to fail being recognized. First thing I tried was to check for a possible dislocation of the bank due to transportation (twisting, etc.), so I opened the back to remove the banks and put them back again. This indeed worked - all 4GB showed up in the system again. However, this problem is becoming more and more recurrent, even with the least moving around of my laptop, and it's really a pain to have to open the machine 3-4 times per week (sometimes more) to avoid having a system dragging itself around with just 2GB of working RAM.

It seems to me that the memory levers are somewhat loose, so that one of the banks jumps out of the socket a little bit every time the case twists or bends even the least. It doesn't seem that the sockets themselves are loose when I put the banks back in place. Therefore, the obvious fix would be replacing these levers. This at first sight seems feasible, because each of these levers seem to be fixed to the logic board by a pair of screws only. However, I tried to look for replacements at Ebay, etc. and couldn't find anything so far. Moreover, the service manual for my model doesn't refer to replacement or even disassembly of the memory sockets off the logic board (iFixit doesn't refer to it either, by the way). I tremble at the very idea of having to replace the whole logic board just for that - did that once for other reasons and it wasn't exactly a pleasant experience for my pocket :( Apart from this problem, the machine is working just fine. Any thoughts?

2. triplelucky macrumors regular

A solution is to insert a small piece of dense foam or rubber shim as shown in the pix. This puts a little more pressure on the ram chip.

What happens is there is a small precision right angle that is supposed to keep the chip from moving out of position. When it wears a little it allows the chip to pop out.

Do not bend those pieces any more than absolutely necessary as they are brittle and will break right off.

wedge.jpg