Loose Silent Switch

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fleshman03, Jun 20, 2009.

1. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

So I'm curious if others have this issue or not. When i went to the ATT store to pick up my iPhone, I noticed that the Silent button was loose and you can hear it rattle when you move the phone. It's not noticeable while it's not on silent. The most annoying thing is that when it is on silent and I put it down, I hear a small rattle.

Am I nuts for taking that back to ATT and swapping it out? I don't want to have a phone that I hear a loose button rattle every time I put it down....

Anyone else w/ the same thing?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Do it. That is not normal. They need to fix it for you, it shouldn't be rattling.

3. Titan12 macrumors regular

Mine and my wifes are a little loose when set to vibrate.

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Damn. Mine (and all of my iPhones) switches have be extremely tight. Almost too tight to switch with one hand.

Guess I should be lucky.

5. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Lol. I'd like mine to be tight. My old 3G and my GF's current 3G (Two phones) were not loose or rattling. That's leading me to think that mine is just loose. I don't think it will be a big deal to swap it out. Especially since I just got it. It all will depend on what they have in stock... luckly, they shipped a LOT of 32GBs. Wonder why... :rolleyes:

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

mine does to(just noticed I could actually here it)

Also there is a space in there between the shell of the iPhone and the switch(when its up)

Its small, but noticeable. Let me know what kinda of luck you have..I'll think about going too(although I'm not sure when, soon ideally)

7. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

I'll let you know, but I think ATT will swap it for me. I don't think Apple would though. My ATT people seem nice and shouldn't really complain too much.

8. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Good luck! Last time I went to my local AT&T store they told me to go to Apple(which is right in the same shopping center)

If you get help from AT&T, I'll prolly end up at one a little further away.

9. Mengels7 macrumors regular

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Agreed. This is a handset issue. No sense in going to where they might replace it instead of going to where they will replace it.

11. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Saying it's actually a handset issue makes me feel a lot better about going to the store and asking to swap it.

I won't feel like a doofus now.

FYI: I'm either going tomorrow or monday. I'll post back with what happens.

12. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I just noticed mine too...crappy! I don't know if it's worth me going to bitch about though. I might go to AT&T though.

13. Chris Grande macrumors regular

Chris Grande

I noticed this today too, loose when on silent and firm when off. Also that damn switch is sharp! It keeps getting hung up on my jeans.

14. Stiss macrumors 6502a

My old 3G used to rattle. I took it back. They swapped it for one that doesn't.

I think the annoying part is that it switches from vibrate to loud in your pocket which is annoying as hell.

15. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Yeah this bad boy is going back, I've got a yellow screen too :(

16. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Thought I'd post an update...

Called ATT. They said to call Apple. :rolleyes: Yeah, I know...

Called friendly, local Apple Store. The rep said that it is normal and her phone does the same. I said, "Yeah, I know. But I'm not happy with it." She then set up a Genius appointment for Monday.

I think that is the key phrase. "Not happy."

We'll see on Monday... I still think they'll swap it for me. I just activated two iPhones afterall.

17. keenan wolf macrumors 6502

keenan wolf

do you know what else is loose?

... Your Mom!

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

NORMAL? So Apple intended for the volume switch to be loose and rattle?

There is a fine line between normal and a common defect.

19. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Mine used to be tight, but after a year of heavy usage... it's become pretty loose.
    (That's what she said.)
    Seriously though, it wears out over time. If it's loose at the beginning, it's probably worth taking it back.

20. lilmitchmitch macrumors 6502

That's cute. Your maturity level suggests that you might still have "loose" teeth...

21. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

That's exactly why I want it swapped. I can image it being stuck on silent on day 366...

My home button on my 1G iPod Touch like 6 months ago. I had to shut the device down to switch an App. So I'm not complaining about the lack of multi-tasking. I just want a non-rattling 3GS. I think my $299 + $80/month entitles me to that.

My point exactly. If I'm not 100% happy with a product, I'll return it. This is the case with my 3GS. I should not have a rattle out the box. I can understand some people might find that acceptable, but I don't. At least not from Apple.

22. fleshman03 thread starter macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Went to the Apple Store today.

I checked a few of the ones on display and 3/5 have the rattle.

The Tech's 3G had the rattle.

However, he did offer to give me one of the replacement units. He said that it would have been a referb though. (I asked how do they have referbs of a product that came out 3 days ago... am I going to get SJ's old phone?)

I told him I'm going to sit on it and think about it for a day. I was thinking that I wanted to swap out anyway and get a white one, but I'd just be happy with on that doesn't have a loose button. He even offered to open up a few of the "referbs" to make sure I get one without a loose switch.

Great customer care.

What do you all think I should do? Pay $30 and get a white one, swap mine out @ Apple or live with a loose switch? It does annoy me a bit though...

23. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

24. DisposableHero macrumors member

25. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

my 3g has did it since the day I picked it up last July.

I just figured it was normal, until I messed around with my g/f's 1st generation iPhone. :rolleyes: