Loose trackpad button on SR MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cardsdoc, Jul 3, 2007.

1. cardsdoc macrumors regular

I received a SR MBP last week. I noticed today that the trackpad button is slightly loose. If you place a finger on each side you can very slightly rock it back and forth - fractions of a millimeter. Also, sometimes when applying light pressure on it (not enough to depress it) there is a soft click. This is obviously a very minor issue but as most of here, I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my computer. Any one else have this issue? Should I expect it to have a little play? I have a feeling if I took it to the Apple store to get checked out they'd look at me like I was crazy and tell me it's normal.

2. skierdude macrumors member

skierdude

3. prism macrumors 6502a

I have it on mine too, and its a bit more wobbly than the button of my former x1600 mbp. I guess I can live with it, I certainly would not take the risk of having some service guy mess up an almost perfect laptop.

4. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's my concern too. It's otherwise perfect.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

6. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Mine is loose also. After a few hours of use, you won't notice it.

7. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Mine's like this too--I'm just worried I'm going to get it caught on something and do it serious harm.

8. cardsdoc thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to here so many have the same problem - maybe this is just within design specs.

9. mayoko185 macrumors member

Mines loose just like the op described, def livable but I gotta say when I first opened my new mac I thought to myself "damn thats a huge button" hehe

10. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

if that is the only flaw with your mbp, be happy!

11. Tasc macrumors newbie

Had the same issue with my original SR macbook pro (as well as a few other problems). I was at the apple store checking out the macbook pros on display, and most of them had the loose trackpad button but there was one or two that had a nice solid button with no movement - so it looked like the chances of getting one with a good button was slim.

However, my new week 26 machine has a rock solid button - I was very happy to see that. Maybe they are addressing it in the newer builds - or more likely I just got lucky.

12. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

grrr the unevenness is fine, but the damned click sound it makes if you press it softly, as it rocks onto the actual switch.... yeah that's really annoying.

13. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Nope. You got lucky. My week 26 MBP SR has a VERY loose trackpad button. Much looser than the week 24 it replaced (among other build quality issues).

14. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

I just found out that there is an Apple Repair center near me and that they can replace just the track pad. I didn't want to send back my machine, for fear of getting another bad panel like my first one, so I was happy to learn that there actually is a repair shop in Ottawa that can help me out (No Apple Retail stores here yet, so I had to buy online).

15. wasabi612 macrumors newbie

i had the exact same thing on mine before i exchanged it because of the yellow tint. I have noticed that the trackpad is a little more flimsy in general compared to my 12" powerbook

16. heved macrumors member

Same problem on one side

I have the same loose trackpad button problem but is only on the left side of the button. It IS pretty annoying. Has anyone taken theirs in to an Apple Store to get the trackpad replaced? I also am not keen about cracking open a brand new mostly flawless machine for something so miniscule.. but still, I'm planning on using this thing for the next 4 or 5 years. Anyone know if replacing the trackpad would be a simple procedure?

15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 7200rpm 160GB HD, 4GB Ram

17. kerisimasi macrumors member

same issue

i have had two mbps and they both eventually had the same loose, clicking problem with the trackpad button. i can deal with it being loose, but the clicking is driving me nuts. just resting my thumb on the button causes it to click and when i use it, there is a double click sensation - which is the most annoying. it just started happening on my current mbp which is 3 months new. I will mention it next time i go into the apple store.... but i doubt they will do anything about it. I recently read a post about someone who took it in and got a new one... good luck all.

18. heved macrumors member

Thanks for the post.. did they get a new trackpad or new MBP? I'd like to keep mine :) First new Mac in 7 years and everything else about it kinda rocks

( I was a month early for getting iLife 08 free.. bummer. I wonder if the retail store employees have been hooking recent Mac buyers up with discounts even though their official policy is 14 days. Even so, $69 edu discount isn't bad )

15" Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, 7200rpm 160GB HD, 4GB Ram

19. Inspiratron macrumors newbie

Sorry to try and bring back an old thread, but I've had this problem for the past few months (wonder why it hasn't happened 'til now). Did anyone succeed in getting a repair centre to replace *just* the trackpad?

thanks
    inspiratron

20. heved macrumors member

My clicking problem went away after a few months... did it out of the new box but gradually fixed itself.

21. Eluzion macrumors 6502

My trackpad button was a bit loose like the original poster mentioned after I got my MBP back from Apple for a motherboard replacement. It's sort of going away the more I use it though.

22. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i wonder how a trackpad button has so many different variations. it is only a mechanical button underneath and a button on top. removing the battery from the macbook pro reveals a not so complicated setup. yet my macbook pro trackpad wobbles like heck, makes random noises, and sometimes a click sounds more like a 2-stage action. weird...

23. Diabeetus macrumors member

that's on every macbook/ibook i've ever seen.
    if you're going to be a p.u.ssy about it you can duct tape the button down to prevent it from moving, and preventing you from bitching about nothing on the internet ;)