Loose USB port, Macbook Pro 2010

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jare, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

So my Macbook Pro is 3 days old and I had never plugged in a USB cable to my right port before (I know both ports are on the left side, but I mean if you turn the macbook pro sideways).

I was plugging in my external HD and noticed significant wiggle with the right USB port, without effort it can jiggle easily. I tried the left port, it wiggles VERY slightly but nothing in comparison to the right.

It doesn't disconnect the USB drive (yet, or that I know of) and I've tried a few other types of USB cables, all show the same issue. Should I book a genius appointment or go to the store I purchased it from and exchange it for a new one.

I don't know if that's grounds for an exchange or not. :S

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd give it a shot. They should replace a hardware defect, that's just good customer service.

3. Jare thread starter macrumors 65816

Jare

I don't know if it's really a defect or not though. I'd be really concerned if the drive disconnected with the wiggle, but it doesn't.. it just feels really loose/wiggly. And I've tried different USB cables, all give me the same feeling.

And it's not like I'm yanking on the cable or anything, slight movement of the laptop/cable causes the wiggle.

4. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

It's only 3 days old, I would visit the store :)

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you sure it's the USB port? I was wiggling a cable and it's loose but it looks like it's the cable being able to move because the end of the USB cable doesn't really fit tightly.

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I would probably take it in, both ports on mine are very tight.

7. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Yup, mine do the same. It really bothers me, and I'm considering taking mine in. I have apple care and it's less than a year old anyway.