Loose USB ports on early 2008 13 inch macbook...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by adammusic, Feb 4, 2014.

1. adammusic, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

adammusic macrumors 6502

adammusic

My usb ports are loose so when i plug in my soundcard via USB it drops connection frequently. Any suggestions on how to make usb ports tight & snug again? Thanks !!

2. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

Loose as in they wobble up and down or side to side?

If it's side to side they are starting to loosen on the board..this is not good as someone who is good at micro/finepoint soldering will need to reseat them on the board for you...pretty much not worth the time.

If it's up and down it means they've worn over time. Not much you can do about it really other than the above but with new USB ports and you'd have a hard time finding replacements.

Also make sure they're clean. Use some rubbing alcohol on a Q-tip and carefully clean the contacts inside.

To prevent further wear I'd just buy a hub and connect it to the best one on the machine and leave it there.

3. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

when connected it loses connection from wobbling up and down. even if i buy a usb hub it should still lose connection by wobbling up and down

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How competent are you with a screwdriver? In a white MacBook (non-unibody) all the ports are on the same base plane. Meaning that the issue will occur with the sound, USB, and FireWire ports. I have tightened mine but it depends on what is loose, the support plane of the physical port.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Core+2+Duo+Left+I-O+Frame+Replacement/526

You will see some screws attaching the plane to the frame under the Logic Board. Tighten them until they give resistance. DO NOT apply too much pressure or you have much bigger problems.

5. adammusic thread starter macrumors 6502

adammusic

I don't think i need to tighten anything inside. Its just the port on the outside is loose from pulling usb's in and out. they wear over time. just want to see if there was anything i can do to tighten it from the outside without opening it up..

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I was just letting you know that may have happened. I would give it a shot as removing the top case is not hard at all. Just make sure you have a good, reliable, and appropriate screw driver.