iPad Pro Loose volume button on new 12.9" iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hammm, Nov 13, 2018.

1. hammm macrumors member

Hi folks,

I got the new 12.9" iPad Pro last weekend. Everything has been great so far, with the exception of the volume up button.

It seems like there's a manufacturing defect with the volume up button - it rattles when I lightly touch it but otherwise doesn't affect the functionality. Strangely this issue doesn't happen to the volume down button or the lock screen button.

The thing is, my unit is otherwise perfect - no dead pixels/backlight bleed/excessively warm/cool colour temp on the display, no camera or speaker issues. My worry is that if I replace with another unit just to fix the rattling volume up button, I'll get a replacement unit with another problem elsewhere.

I plan to use this iPad Pro for at least 4 years and I wonder if this is even something I should worry about. I just don't want to ignore this rattling volume now and this becomes a bigger issue down the road (e.g. button comes off, volume up function not working).

Does anyone have the same issue with loose/rattling button? If yes, did you replace your unit with a new unit?

2. BaddAdvice macrumors regular

BaddAdvice

A few folks here have reported the same with the volume and power buttons. My volume buttons are fine, but the power button wiggles a bit. Doesn’t bother me in the least, nor do I think it’s indicative of bigger, looming issues. But, I could be wrong....

In any case, I don’t plan on exchanging my 12.9 for this.

3. dL. macrumors 6502

Don’t worry about it. My power button is a bit loose on the new 12.9 also, and had that before on previous iPads. Never been a problem long-term. Just within normal manufacturing tolerance.

As long as the display is perfect, that’s what matters most.

dL

4. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

Same in my case. The volume buttons are fine but a little play in the lock button. This is normal as my iPhone X has the same wiggle in its home button, same as my other iPads as well.

To the op, I would imagine the amount of wiggle is the issue. Still early, bring it to the apple store and compare it with other models?

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

If you are happy with the unit other than that, I would keep it as your replacement could have "other" problems.

6. vapourtrails macrumors regular

vapourtrails

I traded my 11’ For a 12.9 and the latter has a tiny bit of play in the power button. I probably wouldn’t have noticed it except for this thread. If I just presss it straight on the button is firm. The play is only from side to side and it is very slight. Probably just manufacturing tolerance.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

There HAS to be some play when it comes to mass manufacturing. Just imagine if Apple made the tolerances so tight that the buttons get stuck! The forums would be going crazy. Every single iPad I have owned had a little play in one or more buttons, not one stopped working.

8. vapourtrails macrumors regular

vapourtrails

Yes your likely right. I don’t think it’s a big deal but it’s not found on my wife’s iPad. I might check the store next time I’m there