Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammm

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Hi folks,

I got the new 12.9" iPad Pro last weekend. Everything has been great so far, with the exception of the volume up button.

It seems like there's a manufacturing defect with the volume up button - it rattles when I lightly touch it but otherwise doesn't affect the functionality. Strangely this issue doesn't happen to the volume down button or the lock screen button.

The thing is, my unit is otherwise perfect - no dead pixels/backlight bleed/excessively warm/cool colour temp on the display, no camera or speaker issues. My worry is that if I replace with another unit just to fix the rattling volume up button, I'll get a replacement unit with another problem elsewhere.

I plan to use this iPad Pro for at least 4 years and I wonder if this is even something I should worry about. I just don't want to ignore this rattling volume now and this becomes a bigger issue down the road (e.g. button comes off, volume up function not working).

Does anyone have the same issue with loose/rattling button? If yes, did you replace your unit with a new unit?

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
A few folks here have reported the same with the volume and power buttons. My volume buttons are fine, but the power button wiggles a bit. Doesn’t bother me in the least, nor do I think it’s indicative of bigger, looming issues. But, I could be wrong....

In any case, I don’t plan on exchanging my 12.9 for this.

dL.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Don’t worry about it. My power button is a bit loose on the new 12.9 also, and had that before on previous iPads. Never been a problem long-term. Just within normal manufacturing tolerance.

As long as the display is perfect, that’s what matters most.

dL

Reactions: obargy

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
A few folks here have reported the same with the volume and power buttons. My volume buttons are fine, but the power button wiggles a bit. Doesn’t bother me in the least, nor do I think it’s indicative of bigger, looming issues. But, I could be wrong....

In any case, I don’t plan on exchanging my 12.9 for this.

Same in my case. The volume buttons are fine but a little play in the lock button. This is normal as my iPhone X has the same wiggle in its home button, same as my other iPads as well.

To the op, I would imagine the amount of wiggle is the issue. Still early, bring it to the apple store and compare it with other models?

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
If you are happy with the unit other than that, I would keep it as your replacement could have "other" problems.

I traded my 11’ For a 12.9 and the latter has a tiny bit of play in the power button. I probably wouldn’t have noticed it except for this thread. If I just presss it straight on the button is firm. The play is only from side to side and it is very slight. Probably just manufacturing tolerance.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I traded my 11’ For a 12.9 and the latter has a tiny bit of play in the power button. I probably wouldn’t have noticed it except for this thread. If I just presss it straight on the button is firm. The play is only from side to side and it is very slight. Probably just manufacturing tolerance.

There HAS to be some play when it comes to mass manufacturing. Just imagine if Apple made the tolerances so tight that the buttons get stuck! The forums would be going crazy. Every single iPad I have owned had a little play in one or more buttons, not one stopped working.

vapourtrails

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2016
There HAS to be some play when it comes to mass manufacturing. Just imagine if Apple made the tolerances so tight that the buttons get stuck! The forums would be going crazy. Every single iPad I have owned had a little play in one or more buttons, not one stopped working.

Yes your likely right. I don’t think it’s a big deal but it’s not found on my wife’s iPad. I might check the store next time I’m there

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
It seems like there's a manufacturing defect with the volume up button - it rattles when I lightly touch it but otherwise doesn't affect the functionality. Strangely this issue doesn't happen to the volume down button or the lock screen button.

I just got a new iPad Pro 12.9 (latest model) and while I did notice the increased play of the buttons on the demo units at the Apple Store, I agree that there’s no issues with that. I even liked how it felt and would go so far to say, this may be intentional.

However, I just received mine and noticed, that in the case of my unit, there is an issue.

The volume up button (other than the power and volume down button) does not uniformly respond to me pressing it with that amazingly engineered clicking-sound, instead it gets stuck on the left side (landscape orientation) and then makes that ugly getting-un-stuck-sound.

Is there anyone else who has encountered this?

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I just got a new iPad Pro 12.9 (latest model) and while I did notice the increased play of the buttons on the demo units at the Apple Store, I agree that there’s no issues with that. I even liked how it felt and would go so far to say, this may be intentional.
I notice it too.

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Meanwhile, I spoke to a friendly guy from Apple Care..

..just now, I received the e-mail confirmation stating, my replacement is on it's way.

I did read the concerns of some (in another thread), describing their delight w.r.t. them having a unit that only comes with minor issues, hence being hesitant about a return that might get them a worse unit.

BUT; should that be, what one is just satisfied with?
- Especially after having paid MBP-Money for a 'Gadget' -

I feel compelled to translate & quote the way de.wikipedia.org just nails describing a 'Gadget':

"Devices that are defined as gadgets are often right in-between meaningful functionality and playfulness."
- Yes, the 2019 iPad Pro is way better than anything before, yet still a gadget -

Glad to get some more perspectives by fellow users!

Granted; judging after 4 weeks of sincere use - I love it - yet there's a lot not to love about it.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)

However, I just received mine and noticed, that in the case of my unit, there is an issue.

The volume up button (other than the power and volume down button) does not uniformly respond to me pressing it with that amazingly engineered clicking-sound, instead it gets stuck on the left side (landscape orientation) and then makes that ugly getting-un-stuck-sound.

Is there anyone else who has encountered this?
After reading your comment, I tried mine (brand new 11” bought 2 weeks ago) and I didn’t notice anything.
All the three buttons have a little “rattling “, and I think they are designed that way (they don’t rattle if I move the ipad, but only if I touch them on purpose). None of them get “stuck” even if pushed on a side, so I think mine is just ok.

I agree with you in one thing: this gadget is expensive, so a partially stuck button is not acceptable.

Reactions: JhnsSch

JhnsSch

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
I believe we fully agree!

I did notice the increased play of the buttons on the demo units at the Apple Store, I agree that there’s no issues with that. I even liked how it felt and would go so far to say, this may be intentional.

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Hi folks,

I got the new 12.9" iPad Pro last weekend. Everything has been great so far, with the exception of the volume up button.

It seems like there's a manufacturing defect with the volume up button...

That's what happened to me last year on the 12.9. The volume button broke. Luckily I bought it from Costco and it happened just before the 3 month return period was up so I returned it.

Reactions: JhnsSch

reframer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
Same here. Volume down rattle. Other two.....no rattle. Noticed it on my own brushing my hand there......11" Ipad Pro.

I started a return at 14 days. I'll try one more time. Why not. I might also just pass. Go back to my white spot 10.5.
I have an ipad pro 10.5 with white spots......just got my exchange value reduced to zero. Sigh.

So why is there deviation in three supposedly identical buttons? Kinda dumb if you ask me. So two buttons feel this way. The third.......well....this one jiggles a bit.

reframer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
I tried again. Same exact thing on an 11" Ipad Pro 2022.

Call me paranoid if you want. I've got a 2011 Macbook with a FRIED gpu, a butterfly keyobard and a 10.5 with white 5 large white blobs.

I feel bad trying again and again, but then again, I have 3-4 grand of defective stuff.
I'm trying again.

Last edited:

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
You could order a dbrand skin for the side. I ordered a skin from them for the outside of the MK and the side of the iPad. I would think that would help any noise, possibly?

5716B9C2-8D7B-4877-BEDF-FB32D44A698B.jpeg

reframer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
I tried a third time. Same thing and the power button now seems kinda the same too.
Guess, if I want to do this 11" Pro, I decide if that's acceptable.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I tried a third time. Same thing and the power button now seems kinda the same too.
Guess, if I want to do this 11" Pro, I decide if that's acceptable.
😮
You sound to be just like me. If there's bad luck to be had then it comes my way!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.