Loose Volume Control Button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigSky20, Aug 6, 2008.

1. BigSky20 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am trying to see if anyone is experiencing this problem and if people have tried to take back their phone for a replacement because of the issue. My iPhone does not have light leaking, scratches, cracking, or any of the other hardware related problems I have been seeing on this forum. But....

...it does have a loose volume button on the side. The volume button works perfectly. However, it moves up and down slightly. Does anyone else have this issue? And, do you think this warrants an exchange.

I was one of the suckers who bought this thing for "Early Upgrade" pricing (i.e. $500) so I expect a perfect 16gb black iPhone.

Thanks,
    BigSky20

2. View macrumors regular

If it doesn't move much, and the buttons are working perfectly, I'd say keep it.
    If you exchange for a new one, it's likely you will get one with light leak and other problems.

just my .02

3. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your .02 cents. I am starting to agree after reading other posts, but it sounds like there are also many perfect phones out there. My other fear is exchanging my phone and getting a refurb phone versus a brand new phone. Has anyone else successfully exchanged their phone because of a loose volume button issue?

4. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

You know what, I've never noticed it, but mine does move up and down. I mean, it only does it if I purposely move it with my nails. Furthermore, were talking a very small amount of motion, to the point that its probably only because its a button...there has to be wiggle room. If you button is moving up and down and wiggling with normal use, then I'd say take it back.

Its like when you turn auto brightness off and put the brightness to almost all the way down, you'll hear a tiny sqeak......WHO GIVES A SH**.

I'm willing to bet everyone has this to an extent!

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

My vol button is loose and I have minor light leak, but no cracks, good screen, etc. There's no way in hello I'm gambling with replacing it.

6. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Mine also can be moved ever so slightly, but it doesn't bother me enough to bring it back as I have no other issues. If it ever becomes a problem and falls out I have AppleCare, but I doubt that would happen.

7. BigSky20 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies....I think I will just stick with my phone and be happy. I just remember my 1st gen iPhone's volume buttons being rock solid. However, with mass produced products, I guess we have to settle with a mostly solid product versus a "perfect" product. I am sure if I took it in to Apple they would say it is within specs anyway.

8. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

My volume button just suddenly became noticeable loose. I've had it since 3G launch. Few minutes ago while holding the phone I heard a clacking sound, and I find now that just placing my finger on the volume to prepare to push is loose enough for it to make a sound as it bumps around. Just shaking the phone it's possible to hear something loose.

Other issues I have is a home button that doesn't respond when pushed on the top half. Which seems to be getting worse, as it can created an unpleasant crunch if you push it just between, and not an then clicking noises from just touching it.

Also, the mute button is fine, but I'm always accidentally switch since it's sort of easy to move, making me miss calls. I noticed on my Dads 3G he recently bought, the silent switch is tight and hard to move, so it can't accidentally be flipped.

An Apple store just opened in my town last week so I may finally take it in for a possible exchange. I could live with the loose button despite feeling cheap, but since it just started it may be sign it could become worse later on, just like the home button.

9. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

On my first generation iPhone, my HOME button could wiggle and still does (now my mom's). Brought it to the Genius and he said "The movement is within spec", It was a considerable amount of movement, just a lot of BS.

Now with my iPhone 3G White, I can't find any complaint, but the Sleep/Wake button wiggles. It is noticeable with minimal pressure on the button and is very obnoxious, but because I'm worried about getting an iPhone with problems, I'm dealing with the issue and not paying it any attention. The 3G's movement is much less significant, but nonetheless a pain seeing as I paid $300 for it. This does not make me nearly as mad as my first generation, seeing as I bought it on day 1 for $600, a wiggly home button was ridiculous!

Unfortunately I don't think they will replace the iPhone, it doesn't impair any hardware function and they don't feel it's cause for a replacement - and is it worth the risk? (I have no idea to be honest how risky it is to get a "worse" iPhone...) I'd keep it...

10. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

It will eventually fall off. Mine did on the first day.

11. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

My Home button doesn't wiggle, but I'd mine is malfunctioning because often pushing it with a satisfying click doesn't do anything because of a huge deadzone.

I can understand the frustration with buying a new product to not meet expectations after all that money, to find they won't replace it with a legitimate reason and even charge a open box free because to them technically nothing was wrong.

Something like that happen with a roommates new PC. Setting up the mediacenter for her we found 98% of the tv channels on the tuner to be static, plus no sound even on 1 or 2 that did come through. Back at Best Buy they hooked it up to their crappy cable with 10 stations that are always of static or almost gone, so they claimed it worked without even seeing a clear station. To be sure I asked for them to hook up speakers or headphones to make sure the sound is working, they refused saying that would be a diagnostic software issue with a minimum $90 fee before they do anything.

We just bought the thing the other day andn ow they want $90 to find out if something is wrong. And of course they wouldn't allow a return without a 15% free on a $1300 computer because they say nothing is wrong unless we pay them to test it further, ridiculous. Got a manager to finally allow an exchange and that one worked perfectly back at home, so it was a bad computer.

Seems like no one steps up to the plate to do the right thing until they force you to make a scene with such resentment you never want to go there again. I hope this doesn't happen with Apple if I ever had to go in there.

12. nima macrumors member

nima

the problem with my phone is almost the same except just a few days ago my ring/silent button broke off. it happened randomly too. ill post some pictures just to show you but im assuming that something hooked onto it or maybe when i was pulling it out of my pants it sheared off. does apple warranty cover this because ive been using a toothpick to flip it to on and off for awhile.