Loosing the plot - need guidance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by biker74, Apr 24, 2009.

1. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Hello All

Just changed to a Mac after years of using a PC. Initially very happy, cant connect my monitor at present, think I'm on my 3rd adapter to try and connect to the thing.,

Anyway, had a quick look on here but cant find what I am after.

What do I do for copy and paste, before I would just highlight, right click, copy and then paste, simple. And whats with the spell check - it hightlights something in red, before I would just right click and I would be given a suggestion, when I right click with a Mac, nothing hapens.

Oh, and how do I do mail merge, or just create a label from scratch - I use avery labels, with PC it was really simple, but cant find anything on ipages that would let me do it.

I know its alot of questions, but I am at the stage of sending the thing back. Thanks

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Copy is Command + C (Command is the Apple key), paste is Command + V. Cut is Command + X, Select All is Command + A.

Spell check should give suggestions, make sure you right click directly on the word.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

To right-click on a Mac, Control+Click (or enable right-side secondary click in Mouse preferences, if you have a Mighty Mouse).

As for label making, I can't help there. Sorry.

4. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

Are you using the white Apple Mighty Mouse? If so, you may need to enable the right click. Go in to System Preferences (the cog icon in the dock), click the Mouse tab, and make sure Secondary Button is showing on the right.

You may find these videos helpful also. Make you an expert in no time :)
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

5. biker74 thread starter macrumors member

biker74

Thank god, reconfigured the might mouse - much happier place now.

Once I get the monitor working and labels printed - woohoo!

Thanks guys.

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What combination of monitor, computer and adapter are you using?

7. biker74 thread starter macrumors member

biker74

Its a regular monitor with VGA cable. On the back of the Mac, is a mini DVI and another socket - the other socket, Apple supply an adaptor for - however, the other end is a DVI female connector, but it is different to a standard DVI socket, this one doesn't have the 4 pins.

Have spoken to Apple and the chap there doesn't understand why apple ship a computer without the regular adaptors - anyway I am now being sent a mini dvi to vga adaptor - I hope its the right one this time.

Why cant things be a whole lot easier.

8. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

9. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I hate the MM, just get a normal mouse and right click as usual.