Los Angeles Area - better ipad 2 coverage ATT or VZN 3G ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fnbdave, Mar 24, 2011.

1. fnbdave macrumors newbie

before i pick one up i want to know if one works better than the other for 3g coverage in LA?

anyone have opinions?

2. JeffMorse macrumors regular

3. Mark K macrumors newbie

For voice service, I give the edge to Verizon but AT&T is still pretty good.

Don't know about data.

4. jeffs177 macrumors member

Voice goes to Verizon and data in my opinon would go to AT&T with my experience.

5. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

Voice service is really important with an ... ipad.... ?

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

Yes very important....:rolleyes:

go with verizon

7. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Service with Verizon may be better say in Hollywood but ATT is usually 4-5x faster with network speeds. Not to mention you can use it internationally and it's re-sale value is higher, and data plan is cheaper.. I'd go with ATT. You can always buy both and return the one you don't like.

8. ryanvalle macrumors member

I took a different approach in choosing my iPad. Since I already have an iPhone with AT&T, I decided to go with the opposite carrier for when there are dead zones I run into with AT&T such as inside buildings.

I'm supposed to get my iPad tomorrow, so I'll get to do some speed tests on their networks with AT&T iPhone with VZW iPad...

9. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

AT&T data speed is much faster than Verizon in the LA area. Yes, Verizon you will drop less calls than AT&T, but this does not apply.

Now, if the iPad 2 was capable of Verizon's LTE network that would be a whole different story.

I definitely recommend AT&T over Verizon. In Fact the AT&T version is very difficult to find in the LA area right now, because it could be used outside the country. Besides you get 2GB per month for $25 from AT&T and you get 2GB per month for $35 from Verizon. Also, if you go over on AT&T you pay $10 per GB.;)

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I'm about 25 miles north of Hollywood and ATT is much better than Verizon for data. On my iPhone 4 I get about 4-6X faster than my coworker on her Verizon iPhone 4.

On my iPad 2 I've been getting 3Mbps+ on down and 1.5-2Mbps up during peak hours. Not too bad at all.

11. SAMtheGAM macrumors regular

SAMtheGAM

AT&T and VZW for the most part have similar 3G coverage in Los Angeles, CA. There are still dead zones for each carrier. For example, The Apple Store at The Grove AT&T falls back to EDGE which is 2G and VZW has 3G coverage. At the Glendale Galleria VZW falls back to 1X which also is 2G and AT&T has full 3G coverage.

The backup technology for VZW is 1X which is slower then EDGE on AT&T. 1X speeds are similar to a 56K dial up modem.

I would go with an AT&T iPad because overall the download speeds are faster then VZW. Also with AT&T you have access to AT&T WiFi.

12. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Personally for me the AT&T coverage on my iPad has been great. I haven't had any complaints like the iPhone users that I know.

13. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

....... wtf?

14. seanpholman macrumors regular

I have a Verizon iPad and an AT&T iPhone 4. I was thinking this was the smart choice because no matter where I am, I can get data. For giggles I used Speedtest.net and can't believe how slow Verizon data is compared to AT&T in Huntington Beach, CA.

Verizon iPad 2 - .55 down / .56 up
    AT&T iPhone 4 - 2.04 down / 1.23 up
    FiOS wifi - 10.22 down / 16.22 up

--Sean

15. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

UC>csu