Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I'm just coming back online after a city-wide power failure here in Los Angeles. Such outages are rare here. The blackout covered at least the area from downtown west to the beach and north to the the San Fernando valley.

This is the first time my Power Mac G5 has ever crashed, and given the sudden loss of power I can't blame it. We used battery operated radios to try to get news, and I could see cars trying to negotiate intersections with traffic lights out. We're still waiting for news about the cause.

Routers news link

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I'm on the Hollywood/Los Feliz border and I just figured that I didn't pay my DWP bill. Luckily I have my Treo 650, so I just checked Google to see what was up. Good thing is, I can take the rest of the day off and just blame it on the power outage to my out-of-state clients!

Fishes,
narco.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
"An official with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said it appeared the problem originated shortly after 1 p.m. when two power receiving stations failed."

We just heard an unconfirmed report of the cause: a worker for the electrical utility (Dept. of Water and Power) accidentally cut a line.

Power in downtown Los Angeles is reportedly still out, but the San Fernando Valley and West Los Angeles are mostly back up. Los Angeles International Airport was not affected.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
Interesting coincidence that it came a day after that terrorist tape naming Los Angeles as a specific target. Of course they're saying it had nothing to do with that, thank goodness.

I have several websites hosted at DreamHost, which as of this moment is still unreachable. I believe their datacenter is located pretty close to downtown, so no big surprise. If it doesn't come back up fairly soon, we may start getting some impatient customers wondering what the heck is going on.

My personal email also goes through one of our dedicated servers there, so I can't get to that either. Weeee! :rolleyes:

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
yep, i've learned the hard way. it seems to have taken (mt) mediatemple and a few other data centers down.

i was wondering why all our sites are down..should've checked here first :rolleyes:

hopefully everyone's ok :)

asif

JupiterTwo

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2003
GB
Doctor Q said:
"An official with the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power said it appeared the problem originated shortly after 1 p.m. when two power receiving stations failed."

We just heard an unconfirmed report of the cause: a worker for the electrical utility (Dept. of Water and Power) accidentally cut a line.

I hope you hear more details on the cause, as one cable taking out two key power receiving stations seems a little bit suspect to me :confused: . Lets hope it's just bad planning, rather than anything more sinister.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
They better fix it soon. By nightfall, we're going to see rioting and looting in the streets.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Lacero said:
They better fix it soon. By nightfall, we're going to see rioting and looting in the streets.

That'll be fun. LA hasn't had a good full blown riot in a long time. Last one I can remember was because some cop got let off for killing a gang member... but we need something bigger, like the Rodney King riot. C'mon people LA needs to keep it's rep up.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
bankshot said:
I have several websites hosted at DreamHost, which as of this moment is still unreachable. I believe their datacenter is located pretty close to downtown, so no big surprise. If it doesn't come back up fairly soon, we may start getting some impatient customers wondering what the heck is going on.
When they overbuilt downtown and ended up with a lot of unused space in the older office buildings, a lot of server companies located their equipment there. Cheap space with (usually dependable) power.

I lost only one file in the outage - a Photoshop file I had created and not yet saved. When your Mac never crashes, you tend not to save very often.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Lacero said:

Last I heard, 95% of the power was back up. The last time my power went out it took 14 hours to restore.

Fishes,
narco.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Doctor Q said:
Cheap space with (usually dependable) power.

Even if they have dependable power, shouldn't they still have emergency generators. I remember when walking past Real Networks in Seattle, they had a huge emergency generator, and then an emergency emergency generator if the emergency generator broke. I wouldn't want to host my equipment at a place without power and network redundancy.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
wrc fan said:
Even if they have dependable power, shouldn't they still have emergency generators. I remember when walking past Real Networks in Seattle, they had a huge emergency generator, and then an emergency emergency generator if the emergency generator broke. I wouldn't want to host my equipment at a place without power and network redundancy.
Companies might have backup power, but sometimes the purpose of backup power is to let them shut down gradually and properly, rather than to keep running indefinitely from another power source, which can be very expensive. And in a city where this doesn't happen very often, it might not be worth the investment for many service companies.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
DeSnousa said:
That must of been one big cable for such a devastation. I hope that every one is safe.
My boss used to build power stations and oil rigs etc. and once saw a guy dig into a power cable, BANG. They never found a body, it got vaporized.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
News link
The Los Angeles Power and Water Department said a power cable was cut. Spokeswoman Kim Hughes said the cause was believed to be 'accidental'.
Some areas were black for up to 2 hours and the outage did affect Los Angeles International Airport, temporarily, after all.

Nit picking: Why did the newswriter put quote marks around the word accidental? It's nice to avoid making claims that haven't been confirmed, but it already says "Kim Hughes said" and "believed to be", so a third-level of caveats is caution overkill.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Doctor Q said:
News linkSome areas were black for up to 2 hours and the outage did affect Los Angeles International Airport, temporarily, after all.

Nit picking: Why did the newswriter put quote marks around the word accidental? It's nice to avoid making claims that haven't been confirmed, but it already says "Kim Hughes said" and "believed to be", so a third-level of caveats is caution overkill.

I'm happy to hear that you and the Mrs. are alright. I immedialty thought of you when I heard the news. Was concerned, now feel relief. You should get a APC battey backup, it also comes with a program to shutdown yoru Mac properly.

http://www.apcc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm?action=build_form_a&device_type=workstation&app_type=workstation&showChassis=1&showMonitor=1&showProcessor=1&showVoltages=1&showIntDrives=1&showPeripherals=1&showPrinter=1&appUsed=basic&cgi_referer_check=&return_query_string=

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Doctor Q said:
Companies might have backup power, but sometimes the purpose of backup power is to let them shut down gradually and properly, rather than to keep running indefinitely from another power source, which can be very expensive. And in a city where this doesn't happen very often, it might not be worth the investment for many service companies.

I'd imagine a lot of 'normal' companies would use this method, but for a hosting company to not have a permanent backup power source is worrying. One of the companies I use (EV1) had one of their transformers blow up (literally) and took out power the whole building. I didn't find out about it until several days later - none of the servers lost power and they ran on generator supply for a week I believe.

[edit] Just noticed their blog. They do have generators, but they failed and the building had been evacuated at that point so no-one was there to restart them. In addition, their uplink connections also went down.[/edit]

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I wish the power would go out here. Just for a few short hours. It really gets people out of the house and you meet a lot more of your neighbors etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.