Losing 35%-45% battery with every workout

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dcpmark, Jul 31, 2017.

1. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

Is that normal? 1st Gen 38mm bought on first day, working out 1 hour to 1.5 hours with the heart rate sensor on. I don't recall it ever being this bad, so is my battery going bad or is it just a function of the latest OS updates? It seems to last a full day when I don't do a workout.

TIA

2. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

Were you playing music from the watch during workouts? My 38mm series 0 is two years old and the usual battery cost for 1 hour of working out is ~25% without music and ~35% with music.

3. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

And that is why I bought a Series 2 recently. The battery is so much better that a workout a day doesn't really hurt. With the Series 0, if I made a workout on weekends and went out at night I'd come home with zero juice left. Without workout, the battery makes 2 days easily.

4. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

No music. It used to be around 25% a workout.....now it's much more for me.

5. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

I usually do a 50-60min workout 5 days a week and I usually drain about 15% during a workout w/o music. Series 1.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sounds like your battery might be getting a little worn. Problem is that Apple want more than the watch is worth to replace the battery

7. dcpmark thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think so too, and I don't mind paying the $79 for a new battery if Apple won't cover it, but I'll try deleting everything I don't use and then re-pairing to see if that helps. I'm also comsidering just getting a Series 2 and turning off the GPS if that results in much better battery life.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think if you get a Series 2 the battery will last much longer. My Series 2 would still have 50% at the end of the day and that is after about 90 minutes of walking with the GPS on. Without the GPS it would be about 60% at the end of the day. Everyone's use will be different.

Enjoy

9. 576316 macrumors 601

Series 0 here, a single workout destroys the battery. But that's likely because it's accessing heart rate data all the time, instead of periodically as it does on standby. Heart rate requires the Watch to keep that weird green light enabled, which must drain the battery some.

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I've found that the latest watchOS has made my battery (S2-Nike) usage much worse. Some days, the battery lasts the normal amount, which is typically 65-70% remaining by quitting time. After the update, the range has been around 40-60% by quitting time.

One day in particular, I had horrendous battery usage. By night time, I was down to 25%, which never happens. So I checked the watch battery usage times. On that particular day, I was at around 11 hours use time and 16 hours stand-by. Use time is never that high of a percentage, so I've been tracking the ratio that last couple of days.

Looks like normal usage for me is about 20% use time against stand-by. So for an 18 hour day, I should expect around 3 to 4 hours of use time.

Take a look at your battery stats to see if you have unusually high use times.