Losing a friend

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by impulse462, Jun 21, 2013.

1. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

Hey all,

I just got some bad news that a really good friend of mine drowned last night. We were pretty close and I've been at other friends' houses trying to deal with this. I don't even know what to think.

Have any of you lost someone close? How did you deal with it?

2. decafjava, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

It's not easy, but going to friends is very important to start with. I don't know what to tell you as a friend of mine has just suffered a devastating loss and is very fragile. Posting on this board is fine, but getting some professional help is essential as well.

3. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Life is fragile. Every time someone you know, dies, is a reminder of that. And it's a little nudge life gives you, to try to become a better person. A reminder, if you will, that your time too, is limited.

It's a grieving process, that could be very intense, depending how close you were to that person, but that has to run it's course. Life ultimately will, and must, go on.

4. impulse462 thread starter Suspended

impulse462

Thanks for that. It's so strange...this is something I always hear happen to other people, but never expect to happen to myself.

5. gsugolfer macrumors 6502a

gsugolfer

A very good friend of mine died in a car accident nine years ago today (I'm 25). The toughest part was picking up the phone at 11:30 when the guy who responded to the scene called my house to tell my dad. They didn't know that I'd picked up the phone at the same time, so I heard him tell my dad.

That guy was like my brother, as he was six years older than me.

It's rough, but you move on in time.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Grief is a process. Take it slow, day by day, hour by hour, moment by moment. It is very important not to bottle up your emotions, but to work through them by talking with friends or family who are willing to listen. Don't judge or beat yourself up for anything that you are feeling or the time involved with going through all of this.

However, don't turn to negative coping methods to simply mask or numb the pain of what you are going through. Draw close to those who love you and meet the pain head on as you adjust to the loss you have experienced and the various consequences of that loss.

I wish you the best. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. :)

7. sunnysweet macrumors newbie

Though I do not have such experience, I can understand your feeling. You might be feel sad once you remind your friend. this is a process. You must face the truth and more forward. Time will heal all pains. Best wishes for you!