Losing ATV connection on a daily basis... help?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by IdiddidI, Feb 10, 2008.

1. IdiddidI macrumors member

I've had my ATV for about 3 weeks. It's great when it's working, but I can count on it *not* working everyday when I get home from work. ATV still sees my wireless network (full strength), but it is no longer appearing as a device in iTunes. Usually some combination of restarting iTunes and reconnecting (or Connecting to New iTunes) will get things back on track... but it is getting to be really frustrating. Something is very flaky, and I'm not sure whether there's anything I can do about it, but would appreciate any ideas you have.

My setup:
    iMac G5, networked through AirPort
    Trendnet TEW-633GR (N router)
    OS 10.4.11
    iTunes 7.6

The wireless network has a WEP2 password. Firewall is set to OFF in the Sys Prefs.

Help?

2. camarobh macrumors 6502

I know that sometimes my Apple TV doesn't show in iTunes on my iMac if I left the application running and the iMac went to sleep. Closing iTunes and re-launching fixes it every time.

3. MikieMikie macrumors 6502a

This is an issue with the Mac going to sleep.

Try changing your system preferences to sleep->never, and see if that fixes the problem.

Typically, your mac will lose its connecting to your router when it goes to sleep and reestablish it on awakening. When it loses its connection to your router, that severs its connection to Apple TV.

4. uva25 macrumors regular

Could this explain why I often get the apple logo quite often when I try to log onto ATV? If i unplug and replug, it restarts fine.

5. IdiddidI thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't always work for me. Usually it takes more fussing than just that.

That's been my Mac's setting since I first bought it. The display is set to sleep after 15 minutes, but the computer is set to never sleep.

Thanks for the ideas, though... other thoughts?

6. uva25 macrumors regular

I have the same issue as you and I just realized, I only allow the monitor to sleep as well so that's not the issue. It is very annoying though as unplgging for me is not an easy task as I have to move bookshelves. I have a Tivo networked as well and it never loses connectivity.

7. IdiddidI thread starter macrumors member

I've been restarting ATV by holding down the menu button and the "-" on the remote for several seconds. I think it accomplishes the same thing as unplugging it.

... though it is still very frustrating to have to do this every day.