Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
When I received my Ipad I noticed my battery was only at around 60 percent. This is my second Ipad since the first had some light issues with the screen, but that was 100% battery out of the box.

I have push notifications on for my mail and noticed last night prior to going to bed battery at 95-98%. When waking up this am battery 79%. Is that a little too much drain??

It also seems that when using the unit get drops around 10-12 percent an hour which would put around 10 hrs or so, but havent done extensive testing.

Not aware that push could drain the battery so much. So like to here if normal or not

markosb

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
It shouldn't drop that much, mine doesn't drop that much when watching tv shows with the ABC app after 2.5 hours.

iLiveUdie

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Your iPad still works when you are asleep!

If you go to settings, and fetch new data. You will see how often your iPad works to fetch itself new data (emails coming in etc.)

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Your iPad still works when you are asleep!

If you go to settings, and fetch new data. You will see how often your iPad works to fetch itself new data (emails coming in etc.)

That is true. Your battery should still drain while you're not using it if it's not plugged in. My battery was at 70% last night and was at 64% this morning. I have Push enabled for both applications and MobileMe (Bluetooth disabled). Also batter came at 92% out of the box. Your battery sounds like it's draining abnormally quick. That happened with my iPhone when I had upgraded it to OS 3.1. Battery was all over the place. I did a reset network settings from the Settings on the iPhone and my battery has been fine ever since. I'd say try that and test for a day or two. If you still have problems your in the 14 day return period. In the past (at least for me) Apple has always been generous with this period and has never charged me a restocking fee. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Well my push is on but had it on Fetch manually. Should it still be draining like that with those settings. I might could see if it was every 15 min

musicman0725

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2007
Well my push is on but had it on Fetch manually. Should it still be draining like that with those settings. I might could see if it was every 15 min

My fetch is set to every 30 min (for gmail) with Push enabled for MobileMe. It sounds like your battery is draining fast. For my wife and I our battery life has been phenomenal on the iPad. I'd try reset network settings and if that doesn't work you can try a restore. Otherwise, take it in while you still can and say you want to exchange it since you're still in the return window. Good luck!

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
The best idea is to plug it in every night and let it charge up. This will offer the best long term battery mantaince too.

Ganesha

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2009
Mine dropped a lot slower after I turned notifications of and set it all account to fetch (15 min). I think (but cannot prove) that to really disable fetch you need to go into each account and set it to fetch. At least the sleeping power consumption of my iPad fell a lot when I did that as opposed to just using the Push on/off slider.

Before, when push and notifications were on: it was draining 12-15% over night. Last night with them off, it only went down 1%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.