Losing data connection while on the call?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Evgenyy, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Evgenyy macrumors regular

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a weird issue of data dropping completely during the call? When I place a call the 3g icon disappears completely and nothing that requires data works until I hung up. Once I hang up the 3g service is restored pretty much instantly. Also the top of the phone where earpiece is gets very hot during the call. I called apple and they told me to come to the store and get a replacement. I just wanted to confirm if this problem is widespread as I will be getting the replacement from the same store. I guess it might be relevant - I am using a bumper case.

My girlfriend's phone (bought through vodafone rather than apple store) doesn't have this issue.

On another issue (or non-issue) I also noticed that my front camera is a lot less saturated that hers for some reason. When I place a facetime call and hold both phones together, the colors are very different . Hers is slightly over saturated and mine doesn't have any vibrancy to colors at all. Not sure what to make of it but there might be different sensors on iPhones (I remember reading somewhere that there is not enough production of 5mp sensors at any single factory)

2. charltonx macrumors member

I've noticed this is happening to me also, bought my phone sim free from Apple and have a Vodafone microsim in it.

Can you update this thread once you've visited Apple.

Anybody else have this problem?

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Many mobile phone networks will tell your phone to switch to 2G when you place a phone call (this usually happens about 30 seconds after you place the call).

As 2G networks can't handle data and voice simultaneously, the phone must drop the data connection.

Are you referring to Vodafone UK?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

It's ios4 that does it. It'll dump the 3G for example and switch to edge or grps if those signals are better to maintain the call. With dumping 3G or edge goes your data.

5. charltonx macrumors member

Yes I'm on Vodafone UK; I know it happens, I'm pretty sure it's the case with the likes of AT&T etc but I didn't think it happened with Vodafone UK, I certainly never noticed it on my 3G handset with Vodafone.

6. Evgenyy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes this is Vodafone UK and it does not have that practice of switching to 2g during the call. Every other phone I've had with them and my gf's iPhone 4 keep the 3g connection alive during the call. I will update the thread tonight once I've visited Apple.

This happens with EVERY call on mine but another iPhone 4 next to it keeps the 3g alive every call. We are in a strong Vodafone signal area so I am pretty sure I have a hardware fault.

7. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

While I'm not with Vodafone, it's happened with every phone I've had on O2. I've also heard of it happening with Orange.

People don't realise how little the phone is actually in control of. The network's systems decide which frequency the phone should use and in the case of 3G devices, whether the device should use 2G.

Most networks will be trying to reserve 3G bandwidth for customers just using data. One way of doing that is to offload people on a phone call to 2G. This brings the slight benefit of improved battery life.

8. charltonx macrumors member

My phone at the moment shows 5 bars on 3G, the minute I answer a call the bars stay but the 3G goes, no edge nothing, and it's worth pointing out that I'm not holding the phone whilst I'm doing this.

Where I'm sitting I always get a very strong 3G signal. Maybe it is the software but then the OP's girlfriend doesn't have this problem and she's on Vodafone.

I hope it isn't the hardware, this is my second iPhone 4 already, the first didn't read sim cards. :mad:

9. Evgenyy thread starter macrumors regular

Which Apple store did you get your iPhone?

I got mine in Bentalls Centre in Kingston. My GF got hers through Vodafone shop and it is pretty much perfect. I am just worried that my exchanged unit from the same Bentalls Centre will be faulty too...

10. charltonx macrumors member

Bluewater.

Just tested my brother's phone, he got his from Bluewater, running it on Vodafone and he's not having this issue, so I'm confident it's not Vodafone's network, which unfortunately means it's either my phone or I've got a faulty sim card; I'll try swapping the sim card first.

Let me know how you get on.

Update: Popped into a Vodafone shop and they're blaming the antenna problem.

11. Evgenyy thread starter macrumors regular

Have been to the Apple store yesterday. The issue is most likely software related. My GF has that issue now as well (strange that she didn't before). The guy in the store had it on his iPhone 4 on O2.

So it is probably affecting everyone but not all notice it. Apple told me this is normal and wouldn't replace the phone... I called Vodafone and they are blaming Apple. Complete shambles!

12. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

As I said above, on O2 this is 100% normal.

The phone has no control over whether it uses 2G or 3G. It's not possible for the phone to decide which channel or technology it uses. The network's BSC must decide which channel and technology a particular device should use.

Your phone has no awareness of other phones on the service. If it could choose what channel or type of network to use, then that would have severe consequences for other users. As such, the network must tell the phone what to do.

13. charltonx macrumors member

I called Vodafone and the bloke said that it was completely normal, my wife's 3GS behaves the same way, so I'm just happy it's not my phone playing up.

The voda guy did say it was iPhone 4 and 3GS specific, and after trying out my friend's 3G on O2 it doesn't seem to happen to him, so maybe that's why I never noticed it before.