Losing Hard Drive Space - Can't Find Culprit

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by r3volution11, Jul 8, 2014.

1. r3volution11 macrumors member

r3volution11

I can not find a reason for the life of me why my startup SSD is filling up. It seems to be doing so by itself.

I've run a scan and there are only 51.5 GB worth of files on my startup which should leave about 200 GB left yet only 7.68 GB is.

Anybody have any recommendations? Here's a screenshot to prove it's definitely not a user error: http://cl.rvo.me/WT6O

GrandPerspective states 179 GB is used by Miscellaneous used space. I have no idea how to pinpoint what that is.

2. treichert macrumors 6502

Boot into recovery and repair your startup drive. There is a bug with deleted files that causes disk corruption on SSDs.

After booting again after the repair there will very likely be a folder "lost + found" on your SSD with supposedly deleted files.

3. r3volution11 thread starter macrumors member

r3volution11

Unfortunately the fix wasn't as simple as that.

Program after program was unhelpful. Finally I found a URL that suggested using "sudo du -cxhd 1 /" in Terminal. I then used that to narrow down the culprit to /Library/Server/Calendar and Contacts/Data/Backups

I then gave myself administrator capabilities over the folder and removed the backup files within the folder (there were thousands). Since then I have yet to notice a new backup file be created.

I wanted to state that here. I hope it'll be found with someone having the same issue.

That was a pain in the butt!

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Interesting.

Hopefully you submitted a bug report. At least it wasn't on your main system.