losing hd space by the second..

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fowler., Jun 27, 2008.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

This started happening a few days ago...

Basically, I have about 15 gigs left on my hd. I got a message saying my startup disk was full.. checked how much room I had left and sure enough, only had about 50 mb. Then, right before my eyes, it jumped back up to 15.44 gb.

Ever since, the hd space does this cycle, where it dwindles and dwindles til the point I get a message saying it's full, then back to normal. Like, this happens constantly and as you'd expect has been making other things run kinda weird.

I assume that I'll have to get a new hd soon since this laptop is over two years old now... but in the mean time, anything you can think of that i can do to fix this?

2. MikeDTyke macrumors 6502a

What applications were running at the time and what were you actively using?

Sounds like either temp files or the swap space is being a bit greedy. Though typically swap space doesn`t get released. So doesn`t sound like thats it.

Does it continue to do it after a clean reboot?

M.

3. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

yeah, i've rebooted, repaired permissions, shut down and let sit for a day...

still the same thing

as soon as i can find my reinstall discs, i'll try and repair the hd that way... but in the meantime, nothing has worked so far.

4. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Funny you mention this. I'm having the same problem. Last night I got to around 60MB left and said to myself that isn't right and seeing it just go down, and down. So today I downloaded and installed Disk Inventory X, and as I launched the app I saw my HD space go from 50MB to 1GB. I'll investigate more when I get home. At first I thought it might be Time Machine saving data since I hadn't backed it up in more than 10 days. So last night I let that run thinking it would clear stuff out. So, we'll see.

5. Animalk macrumors 6502

I highly suspect Time Machine is the culprit.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Download Disk Inventory X and run it. It gives a graphical picture of your drive so you can easily and quickly spot the hard drive hog.

http://www.derlien.com/

[​IMG]

7. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

not enabled right now... so, i don't think that's it.

i'll run that disk inventory deal when i get home later...

8. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

appears to be solved..

disk inventory narrowed it down to a hidden safari cache database file.. which would also explain why safari took like, 30 little hops to get going.

thanks for the help