Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I have a MacBook Pro running Parallels. The only thing I get as a message is in IE 7 is "can't find server".

I then click on diagnose problem and do all the steps. That solves the problem for a few minutes and then it loses the connection again and I have to do it all over again.

If I restart the vm or the Mac it doesn't make a difference at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Wade

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What kind of networking are you using for Parallels? One choice uses the Mac's existing Internet connection. The other one gives Windows XP its own network address, and requires you to set up networking separately in Windows.

If you're using the first option, the problem isn't in Parallels - it's with your Mac's internet connection or configuration. If, on the other hand, you're using the second option, something in Windows is not configured correctly.

wgilles

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
I have a similar problem, but in Boot camp. My wireless connection will crap out when I play games online sometimes, about 10% of the time. Works fine in OSX though.

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
What kind of networking are you using for Parallels? One choice uses the Mac's existing Internet connection. The other one gives Windows XP its own network address, and requires you to set up networking separately in Windows.

If you're using the first option, the problem isn't in Parallels - it's with your Mac's internet connection or configuration. If, on the other hand, you're using the second option, something in Windows is not configured correctly.

I'm not sure. I really didn't have to set anything up it just worked. This is the second time I've set up a VM in Parallels. Is there something I should do manually in XP?

Right now all I have for network connections in XP is "Parallels Network Adapter".

Thanks, Wade

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I'm not sure. I really didn't have to set anything up it just worked. This is the second time I've set up a VM in Parallels. Is there something I should do manually in XP?

Right now all I have for network connections in XP is "Parallels Network Adapter".

Thanks, Wade
Sounds like you're using the first option I mentioned, which is the default - in which case the cause of the problem is on the Mac side.

When you lose your connection in the VM, do you also lose your connection on the Mac? If you do, that would prove my theory.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The network connection on the Mac side has no problems.
That suggests to me a Parallels problem. Are you using the latest build? If you're using Parallels 2.5 still, perhaps you should upgrade to 3.0. Version 3.0 is officially Leopard-compatible.

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I'm still using 2.5. Really didn't have a reason to upgrade.

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Just tried a trial version of VM Ware Fusion and I have the same problem. It seems the problem is on the Mac side. Can anyone give me some insight on what to do?

Thanks, Wade

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
If I did upgrade to 3.0 would I have to reinstall Windows?

Just tried a trial version of VM Ware Fusion and I have the same problem. It seems the problem is on the Mac side. Can anyone give me some insight on what to do?

Thanks, Wade
The good news is that you don't have to reinstall Windows if you upgrade.

As for your other question - are you connected wired or wireless? If you're wireless, you may be getting connection dropouts (this would affect both Mac and Windows). You're not the only one who has this problem... and so far, no real solution that I know about has been found. :(

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I am connected wirelessly with a Netgear router. The Mac side has not had any drop outs when XP drops out.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I am connected wirelessly with a Netgear router. The Mac side has not had any drop outs when XP drops out.
It's funny you mention this - I had this problem yesterday, in a Linux virtual machine. My Mac would connect to the network just fine, while Linux repeatedly lost its connection. Very frustrating. :mad:

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I was just thinking I didn't have this problem until I started using Safari for Windows. Do you think that might have had anything to do with it?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I was just thinking I didn't have this problem until I started using Safari for Windows. Do you think that might have had anything to do with it?
Safari is a browser - shouldn't affect the stability of your internet connection. I doubt that's the cause.

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada

Two things:

Have you tried using a Cat 5 cable (RJ 45 ethernet cable) to see how it works with a wired connection, just for testing?
Mine was not Parallels, but XP running on it's own with a USB D-link wireless.

Tiger works just fine, but it's using an Airport card.

Have you used the Network settings in the XP control panel? Be careful here though not to make it the computer's default.
And there is the wireless connection properties box in the lower right taskbar in XP. Right click or control click on the wireless signal there for network settings.
This is similar to the wireless icon at the top right of the OS X menu bar.

Frankly Windows is a bit of a hassle. It's like having to be a car's mechanic in order to drive it.

jodelli

WCunha

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I have not tried it wired yet. I did change my network settings in Parallels to Bridged Ethernet with en1: Airport/Wireless Adapter. That seemed to fix it but I am not real sure as I have developed a problem with MS Money not opening and telling me it is open.

If I can fix Money I will let you know if worked.

The VM now seems to be unstable and hangs a lot even if Money does open. When it does open I have not been able to work in it.

Any solution besides re-installing windows?

Wade

ViciousSummer

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
I too am having issues with internet connectivity on the windows end. And I'm sick and tired of all of the issues Leopard has. I've never has so many problems with a Mac (and I've had every operating system in the past 8 years or so).

This is what I'm running:

Imac w/Leopard 10.5.2
Parallels 3.0 running Windows XP
Wireless connection through an Apple Extreme Airport

Internet connection works perfectly on the Mac side. Internet connection worked perfectly on the Windows side yesterday (did not have to set anything up, it just worked, like it should). Nothing has changed, but the windows side will no longer connect to the internet. When I go through the steps to set up the internet connect (through the connection "wizard") on the IBM side it already detects the connection.

"Your broadband connection should already be configured and ready to use. If your connection is not working properly, click the following link"

And then it links to some BS describing how to fix a broadband connection (which does not work either).

I have no problems connecting to the internet when using parallels/windows XP on my MacBook laptop that is running Tiger, so I'm assuming that this is yet another Leopard bug.

Any one have a fix for this? I'm sick of banging my head against the wall ;)!

ViciousSummer

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2008
Today I installed the Imac EFI Firmware Update 1.3 and I am now able to connect to the internet in XP using Parallels.

I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence or if the firmware update fixed it, but I figured it's worth mentioning...

:)

beelenpe

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Upgrade not helpful

My Imac is only a week old and has the upgrade. The problem persists. When giving the mac a manual IP-adress the connection error in the corner disappears, but no connection is there in fact. The Host-geust in the mac-settings does not want to pick up an IP-adress by itself. Strange is my router does recognize the virtual machine though...., but still no internet in XP.

karenjulia

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I really need someone's help

After I downloaded some update for windows, and it restarted, I couldn't get an internet connection anymore. I have a new Leopard, the latest Parallels version. Is it something with the drivers? How do I fix this problem? I've tried some different things. XP on my mac is useless if I don't have internet in it. And I don't want to do anything that will mess up my MS Money either!

karenjulia

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
I guess I fixed it myself

I realized I could revert to a saved snapshot I made last month. So that took me back to the state of things prior to the windows update. And now everything works again. And I'll never update windows again. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.