Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nomoresecrets

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
That's what really gets me. That they want to simplify things, sure, I can go with that. But it is as if they are saying now
By the way, we really want to make the best product ever for you - it's about the experience, but you will have a shotty one when you buy it. Please realise we took away convenience and require you to pay 20$ and up for it from now on. It's a premium product, premium value, sold as a Pro model. But we just don't actually care about you enough to include the extension cord, even though we know mobile devices aren't always close to wall sockets and they sit on raised tables and there's just not enough length to connect things up. And in case that causes problems, the magsafe that we invested and has proven to be a life saver for some devices, that's a usb-c port, so we can guarantee you to buy apple care, which doesn't actually cover it. But hey, we value you as a customer. Because we need to guarantee year over year profits.

You're so right. It's not that the $19 is going to break the bank for me but seems like nickel and diming not to include it in a $1799 (plus tax) pro laptop.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
You're so right. It's not that the $19 is going to break the bank for me but seems like nickel and diming not to include it in a $1799 (plus tax) pro laptop.

Every 10 bucks, is still a 100 bucks when you have to buy a few adapters, and a few cables, and a few accessories.
Then an 1800 laptop is 1900 ..

It's on their end not to break the bank, and they won't. And in return they get customers that can tell windows users, it's pretty device, pretty delivered, pretty service, pretty much complete, works out of the box..

I remember the old dell days where you buy a complete and you got 7 boxes delivered at your house for all the accessories, and you could say 'get a mac, it's 1 box, take it out, plug it in, all the stuff is there, you're good to go'

Imagine having to take another drive back to the store just to get the adapter so you can plug in your old usb time machine to restore from. ffs.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
What's this Belkin MagSafe you're talking about? I can't find anything on their site, do you have a link?

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I'm surprised so many people seem to be of the opinion that not having magsafe will result in destruction of their laptops.

I can imagine it being a problem if sitting in a coffee shop or airport with a cord trailing across the floor to a power point, but I would have thought that most folk would have sufficient control of their environment and enough common sense to avoid any possibility of tripping over a cable. In fact, in an office environment I would have thought a potential trip hazard would be a H&S violation.

As I mentioned on another thread, I rarely use my MBP while it is still plugged in because the battery lasts so long, even under quite high loads (eg. running automated test suites while developing). When it is plugged in, it is on my desk and the cables are all neatly routed so that tripping on them would be impossible. This takes virtually no effort. Charging is very fast so I can charge it while having lunch or dinner and be ready to go again afterwards without missing a beat.

Also, as stated by the OP, we now have many more options for charging rather than using the proprietary magsafe connector.

It seems as though Apple really can't do anything to please 'everybody' these days. Must be quite depressing for the engineers at times.

Reactions: Capt T

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
The reality is though, that when you need to charge it, is when you sit somewhere and charge it. Hanging out a a place, because you are mobile and doing a few hours work. . People walk around..

It has saved me more than a couple of times. and I am glad i didn't ruin the laptop.

You drop a laptop off of the table, even a foot drop is enough to ruin it.

People are selfish and rude these days, they really don't take others under consideration much - and if they pull a laptop off of a table they just look back and shrug, or say sorry and walk on.. the last thing they will do is cover the damages.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
I'm surprised so many people seem to be of the opinion that not having magsafe will result in destruction of their laptops.

Because it's saved my laptop flying off the table on two separate occasions after I tripped over the cord. Accidents happen.

Reactions: Floris

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Yeah I wouldn't consider it to be the fault of the person who tripped on the cable, it's the fault of the person who left the trip hazard. Just be glad you don't get sued by someone for tripping them up!

I just don't think it's that hard to avoid this situation and I definitely wouldn't want to rely on magsafe to detach on a lightweight laptop worth £3000+.
[doublepost=1477782936][/doublepost]
Because it's saved my laptop flying off the table on two separate occasions after I tripped over the cord. Accidents happen.

Sometimes accidents are just accidents. Restricting vehicles to 0 MPH would avoid all accidents but isn't necessarily an essential feature.

Also, I've known of 2 MBPs which were written off due to problems with metal filings shorting out the magsafe charging port. I clean my magsafe ports with alcohol on a cotton swab to avoid this problem.

Reactions: killawat

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Magsafe pros: Saves your laptop in the event your cable gets caught up.

Magsafe cons: Apple chargers are not known for their longevity and are expensive. Apple don't license the connector.

USB-C pros: Opens up to third party chargers, therefore a wider and cheaper range of options become available. As noted in a post above you can buy a third party Magsafe version at extra expense.

USB-C cons: Catching the Apple supplied cable will likely mean your laptop crashing to the ground.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Magsafe pros: Saves your laptop in the event your cable gets caught up.

Magsafe cons: Apple chargers are not known for their longevity and are expensive. Apple don't license the connector.

USB-C pros: Opens up to third party chargers, therefore a wider and cheaper range of options become available. As noted in a post above you can buy a third party Magsafe version at extra expense.

USB-C cons: Catching the Apple supplied cable will likely mean your laptop crashing to the ground.
The pros are great on both, and the cons are terribel for both :p

But the usb-c con is a $3000 or $4000 laptop replacement kind of terrible. The magsafe con is just 'man, nobody else can make one, oh common..'

Anyway discussion is moot, griffin has a usb-c magsafe product now.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

But the usb-c con is a $3000 or $4000 laptop replacement kind of terrible. The magsafe con is just 'man, nobody else can make one, oh common..'

Hmmm..... thinking about it, Apple should have included a Griffin style cable out of the box. But they are trying to penny pinch everywhere they can these days.

Reactions: macintoshmac

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland

With respect, the discussion isn't moot - some folks seem susceptible to tripping over their own cables (twice) and other folks seem to manage not to. If you are one of the former then you might want to consider accidental damage cover on your home insurance or buy a Griffin adapter. Otherwise, just continue to take care of your equipment as before.

Last edited:
Reactions: cerberusss

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Really? I don't think my magsafe has ever fallen out. It's very stable.

If he is playing gymnastics with his computer in bed and on his lap, that is hardly MagSafe's fault if it is doing its job of detaching so frequently.

Let's add to his scenario. Throw in a pet, or kids, who suddenly decide to prance around or jump up to him with no care about the cost of the piece of hardware in his hands. If MagSafe is not there, there is a higher chance of them taking the laptop down, period. I think he would have understood the MagSafe love then.

For me, anything that can be done to provide additional security to my expensive purchases is always welcome, period. Inconveniences of carrying a brick are minor when compared to the other scenario. Take the retina MacBook 12 inch. MagSafe was essential here; I don't buy it that we don't charge it that often. Okay, we may not, but when we do, now we know that an additional safety element was taken away from us. In the given scenario, where will he keep his rMB to charge as he sleeps, so that his pet does not get in the way? Or is he going to cage the pet and leave the rMB anywhere he wants? Point is, essential freedom was taken away, now we have to adjust more and uselessly, because they provided for a simple solution earlier.
[doublepost=1477801574][/doublepost]
There are solutions out there, buy them, and move on.

You and the like-minded blind consumerism is what they are really relying on. Buy, buy, buy buy, fill your house with stuff you would never have needed had they included the necessary in the first place. All you needed to carry was your notebook before, now you might need to carry 2-4 dongles along too. Where is the sense? Dongles have weight top and there are more points of failure now. There is only one sense here - economic - for the company. This really is nonsense for many, many customers. Out of the box that thing now needs at least a USB-C to USB-A dongle.

It just works, they used to say. Out of the box. And yes, it did. Now, it just DOES NOT work anymore. They have ensured the purchase of at least one dongle along with.

Last edited:
Reactions: akash.nu

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
If he is playing gymnastics with his computer in bed and on his lap, that is hardly MagSafe's fault if it is doing its job of detaching so frequently.

Let's add to his scenario. Throw in a pet, or kids, who suddenly decide to prance around or jump up to him with no care about the cost of the piece of hardware in his hands. If MagSafe is not there, there is a higher chance of them taking the laptop down, period. I think he would have understood the MagSafe love then.

For me, anything that can be done to provide additional security to my expensive purchases is always welcome, period. Inconveniences of carrying a brick are minor when compared to the other scenario. Take the retina MacBook 12 inch. MagSafe was essential here; I don't buy it that we don't charge it that often. Okay, we may not, but when we do, now we know that an additional safety element was taken away from us. In the given scenario, where will he keep his rMB to charge as he sleeps, so that his pet does not get in the way? Or is he going to cage the pet and leave the rMB anywhere he wants? Point is, essential freedom was taken away, now we have to adjust more and uselessly, because they provided for a simple solution earlier.
[doublepost=1477801574][/doublepost]

You and the like-minded blind consumerism is what they are really relying on. Buy, buy, buy buy, fill your house with stuff you would never have needed had they included the necessary in the first place. All you needed to carry was your notebook before, now you might need to carry 2-4 dongles along too. Where is the sense? Dongles have weight top and there are more points of failure now. There is only one sense here - economic - for the company. This really is nonsense for many, many customers. Out of the box that thing now needs at least a USB-C to USB-A dongle.

It just works, they used to say. Out of the box. And yes, it did. Now, it just DOES NOT work anymore. They have ensured the purchase of at least one dongle along with.

Don't like? There are other companies to buy from. Razer gives you everything that you 'need'.

savvysearch

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2016

If it’s not Magsafe’s fault that I’m doing gymnastics in bed, then at the same time, it’s not the new stable cord’s fault if you trip over your own cord. They are a million scenarios from dogs to an evil powercord-pulling ghosts where it may be needed. I’m not denying that. And obviously people love it as for why this thread exists. But as the magsafe personally doesn’t frequently fall off for you, the cord tripping scenarios personally have never been an issue for me. Different strokes. So I love and completely support Apple’s decision to do away with it. Especially with the added option of plugging it in to any side of the macbook.

Last edited:

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
Hmmm..... thinking about it, Apple should have included a Griffin style cable out of the box. But they are trying to penny pinch everywhere they can these days.

They should have included something another company makes ? some of the things you guys say just make me giggles for hours. Why on earth would they include a charger like that, if they wanted the magsafe syste,... they would have just included it. NOTHING to do with pinching pennies lol

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Don't like? There are other companies to buy from. Razer gives you everything that you 'need'.

True. But are we talking business or are we talking attachment to a company and what it once stood for?

For business, Of course there is no way I am buying this new piece of **** at close to $3500 in my country, not considering additional dongles I will need. At best, I will go for rMB which is better value and has a specific use in my life, or the last gen MBPs with are available for about $1000 less via Amazon sellers where I can use it more as a do-it-all.

But the point here was about attachment to a company and how they are just dialling down on everything that made them great - one being care and concern for their customers.

Oh, and there was no need for you to be that way in your comment with the 'need'. You might be living inside NASA with all the latest techno-wizardry, I am in India, a backward, poor, destitute, third world country that still limps on the suddenly-outdated-just-because-Apple-removed-them, looked down upon, USB-A and HDMI and SD cards. Hell, we even dry our clothes in the free sun rather than use paid resources like dryers and electricity. So, we 'need' those ports and would love to have them in-built rather than buy a separate dongle. Apple provided the best of the best - all those ports and quality. Now, they are offering just the quality of their chassis, the experience is NOT there, if I have to use dongles.

Razer is not available here. I am sure it would sell like hot cakes if it was. I for one would have bought it. Removing the optical drive did not hurt because there were ways that did not really hurt the experience much. I had unlimited internet, so all that went was a night to download super heavy stuff. But this, MagSafe, and ports, is pushing it into a laughable territory.

The fact that a not-so-large-as-Apple company, Belkin, invested and produced a MagSafe USB-C connector proves that first of all, there is still a market and need from consumer standpoint for such a product, and second, that Apple could have done it too, but they chose not to.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry16

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Whenever I get around to buying the new 12" MB or newest MBPs, I'll also get the Griffin MagSafe-like adapter.

There. Problem solved. What's next?

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014

According to the Griffin page it is:

"Because it is designed to carry power sufficient to charge your laptop's battery (up to 60 watts)"

That seems okay for the 13" model (last gen 13" had a 60w adapter), but it would seem to be lacking for the 15" model(last gen had an 85w adapter) although I'm not sure what is included with the new models.

ag29

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
The reality is though, that when you need to charge it, is when you sit somewhere and charge it. Hanging out a a place, because you are mobile and doing a few hours work. . People walk around..

It has saved me more than a couple of times. and I am glad i didn't ruin the laptop.

You drop a laptop off of the table, even a foot drop is enough to ruin it.

People are selfish and rude these days, they really don't take others under consideration much - and if they pull a laptop off of a table they just look back and shrug, or say sorry and walk on.. the last thing they will do is cover the damages.

In that case you definitely need a magnetic charger like the Belkin one.

But speaking at a "rude" person's perspective, If I'm in a cafe, walking, and I have something on my mind so I'm not really looking down at foot level, and all of a sudden I trip over a cord and a laptop comes falling off the table, I don't feel I should be responsible for it because the cord should be in a location where it's not easy to trip over and the only thing I did wrong was not look down at foot level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Capt T
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.