losing mouse and keyboard intermittently

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmesser, Apr 2, 2014.

1. macmesser macrumors 6502a

I have an '09 flashed to 5,1, running 10.7.5, which has been working fine since I got it about a year ago. I have been using a cheap MS usb mouse and the keyboard from a G4. As I said, this setup has worked fine until a few months ago, when I started to experience the intermittent loss of the keyboard and/or mouse. Usually, if I connect one or both of the devices to a different usb port things will start working again but sometimes I have actually needed to do a hard shutdown.

An IT guy told me it could be the old keyboard or the on-board usb starting to fail. Rather than blindly starting to replace devices, is there some way I can test the usb? If, as I suspect, a diagnostic software like TechTool Pro will not be likely to help, I guess I need to try replacing keyboard/mouse or adding a usb card.

I could switch to a bluetooth keyboard but would I not then lose the ability to connect a usb mouse or Wacom tablet to the keyboard?

To stay with usb, seems my first move would be to replace the usb keyboard with a new one, then add usb card if needed.

Would greatly appreciate suggestions as to where to begin.

2. macmesser thread starter macrumors 6502a

Attention Mods

Sorry, posted this on the wrong forum. Please move to Mac Pro.