Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I have a new 13" M1 MBP and a new Magic Mouse 2 both of which that I have bought in the past 2 weeks.

On Tuesday morning I upgraded the MBP to Monterey from the app store full installer. Prior to that it was running Big Sur.

Twice yesterday (Wed) and once so far this morning, the mouse lost the ability to do multi-touch swipes etc. This is both inside of Safari as well as just on the desktop, aka to swipe between desktops or apps.

So farm my only remedy is to reboot the MBP and it goes back to normal.

Anyone else having this issue? I called Apple support but they had very little information. I am going to wait until if/when it happens again to call them back while it is happening.

thanks.

Reactions: shiplake

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
am sure it's related: mouse issues

i only use my mouse2 gestures to do one-finger scrolling. anyway, note that you can turn the mouse off then back on to (for now) resolve this; simpler than rebooting.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i imagine someone opening up their new macbook pro to show a friend it's incredible speed. it wakes instantly, safari opens the second it's icon is clicked... then they go to scroll on a page.

"wait one sec".

they turn off the mouse... turn it back on; wait 10 seconds, then go back to scrolling.

impressive ?

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
it's definitely a real issue, and i've reported it twice in feedback assistant. we'll have to wait for an updated OS (am hoping to see a fix in the next beta)... ugh.
I did notice some lagging in Safari on the one machine where I ran the betas. I don't remember how often the private relay IP spoofing was on or not, but in the back of my head I always wondered if that was the cause.

Now that machine is upgraded to release version along with my M1 machine and it is only the M1 that is having the mouse problems. And for some reason, Private Relay is not available on the beta machine (Intel) while it is ON on the M1.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I did notice some lagging in Safari on the one machine where I ran the betas. I don't remember how often the private relay IP spoofing was on or not, but in the back of my head I always wondered if that was the cause.

Now that machine is upgraded to release version along with my M1 machine and it is only the M1 that is having the mouse problems. And for some reason, Private Relay is not available on the beta machine (Intel) while it is ON on the M1.
the mouse issue is, if not everyones, not M1-only, since i'm experiencing it on my intel mac.

MacGarage

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2017
Ohio
I am having another issue with my 2019 iMac/mouse.

It is hard to describe, but I have to keep clicking on the open window I am working on to keep typing, etc. This is on every app.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
Montery seems to have a lot of problems with mouse and trackpad. As for myself, my trackpad 2 2 fingers gestures don't respond well since the update. It feels laggy and very unresponsive.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Montery seems to have a lot of problems with mouse and trackpad. As for myself, my trackpad 2 2 fingers gestures don't respond well since the update. It feels laggy and very unresponsive.
some people are having gesture issues with the mouse (i'd be one of those). and... maybe people having trackpad issues? it's fine on my macbook (and my GF's new 2020 macbook pro).

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I have this same issue with my Magic Trackpad. Multitouch gestures just stop working and only a restart fixes it, but after a while it will stop again.

shmob

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Same issue on my new 14" MacBook Pro 2021. Super frustrating, really needs to be fixed ASAP!

Dapsol

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
Solution for me to fix Trackpad gestures that suddenly stop working, in Terminal:

Code:
killall Dock

shmob

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
Solution for me to fix Trackpad gestures that suddenly stop working, in Terminal:

Code:
killall Dock

Yes this is what I’ve been doing, for months. It’s absurd that I still need to do this even on the brand new 12.3 update. Get it together Apple.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
You have to do this after every reboot or after just a couple of hours you have to do it again?

greysave

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
I am having this issue on an Intel iMac. The thing is killall Dock is not working for me. I noticed that when this happens all of my Bluetooth devices are no longer present in the Bluetooth preferences.

I am finding this very frustrating, I am a devops and hardware engineer and can't keep rebooting my computer for all of these darn bugs that I keep finding. I am very disappointed in Apple for never fixing or acknowledging these issues event though they are pasted all over the web and their communities site. It is time for a computer refresh and I am seriously considering switching to Linux. If I pay close to 4k for a new computer and this happens I am going to be livid and probably would never buy another Mac again.

It's a shame because I am so deep in their walled garden and have only Apple devices for my Family of 6. Apple won't stay on top if they loose customers like us.

Its also causing me to waste a lot of time and continually setup my working environment which consists of Devops stuff, VDI, and Labs. No one wants to stop everything their doing because Apple cannot deliver on what they promies.

xircoms

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2022
I am having this issue on an Intel iMac. The thing is killall Dock is not working for me. I noticed that when this happens all of my Bluetooth devices are no longer present in the Bluetooth preferences.

I am finding this very frustrating, I am a devops and hardware engineer and can't keep rebooting my computer for all of these darn bugs that I keep finding. I am very disappointed in Apple for never fixing or acknowledging these issues event though they are pasted all over the web and their communities site. It is time for a computer refresh and I am seriously considering switching to Linux. If I pay close to 4k for a new computer and this happens I am going to be livid and probably would never buy another Mac again.

It's a shame because I am so deep in their walled garden and have only Apple devices for my Family of 6. Apple won't stay on top if they loose customers like us.

Its also causing me to waste a lot of time and continually setup my working environment which consists of Devops stuff, VDI, and Labs. No one wants to stop everything their doing because Apple cannot deliver on what they promies.
I was able to fix my problem (using magic mouse 2 with M1 MBA) goto accessibility - pointer control - mouse option - click scrolling with inertia (earlier it was not clicked n i was unable to use gestures)

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I have a new 13" M1 MBP and a new Magic Mouse 2 both of which that I have bought in the past 2 weeks.

On Tuesday morning I upgraded the MBP to Monterey from the app store full installer. Prior to that it was running Big Sur.

Twice yesterday (Wed) and once so far this morning, the mouse lost the ability to do multi-touch swipes etc. This is both inside of Safari as well as just on the desktop, aka to swipe between desktops or apps.

So farm my only remedy is to reboot the MBP and it goes back to normal.

Anyone else having this issue? I called Apple support but they had very little information. I am going to wait until if/when it happens again to call them back while it is happening.

thanks.
I have the exact same issue on my Mac Studio.

Just noticed the Info below my posts is a decade or more out of date! LOL, how the heck to I update all that bio stuff?

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
I was able to fix my problem (using magic mouse 2 with M1 MBA) goto accessibility - pointer control - mouse option - click scrolling with inertia (earlier it was not clicked n i was unable to use gestures)
Seems like a different issue you had. Setting is correct for me on Mac Studio and I definitely have this happening several times a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.