Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigsubmaween

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
...im new here, ive been searching for literally 6 damn hours for a decent solution, but everyones is entirely different.

i have a iphone 3gs with 3.1.2 and i unlocked using pwngetool and had ZERO problems on my powerbook running 10.5.. now im unlocking my father in laws and its problem after problem, hes on snow leopard 10.6+.

the phone is a 3gs also, was running 3.1.2 with blackrain, but the recovery loop thing was a pain in the ass so im doing a more official pwnage jailbreak. so, i downloaded 3.1.2, created the ipsw with pwnage, and restored it with itune and i get the 1600 error....the phone is BLACK no responses at all. not even a connect to itunes logo.. so i need to figure out how to get past the 1600 error and then unlock it via cydia....

all help is appreciated...thanks in advance...

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
the screen being blank suggests it's in dfu mode, have you tried a options key manual restore (or shift manual restore for widows) to official 3.1.2? does this give you any errors? of course remember to stay away from 3.1.3 otherwise you will be screwed.

bigsubmaween

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
yeah im def staying away form 3.1.3, i JUST tryed restoring to official 3.1.2 and its giving me another error saying this device is not eligible for this build... the phone is DEF a 3gs and the ipsw is DEF 3gs software..jeeeezus

can i restore to 3.0? would that be better?

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
the phone is a 3gs also, was running 3.1.2 with blackrain, but the recovery loop thing was a pain in the ass so im doing a more official pwnage jailbreak. so, i downloaded 3.1.2, created the ipsw with pwnage, and restored it with itune and i get the 1600 error....the phone is BLACK no responses at all. not even a connect to itunes logo.. so i need to figure out how to get past the 1600 error and then unlock it via cydia.

Phones with the new version of iBoot (and which therefore require a tethered jailbreak) cannot be jailbroken with PwnageTool. PT requires that the chain of trust be broken on an iPhone (i.e., that it be "pwned"); if not, the custom firmware cannot be uploaded. Since there is no way to pwn such a phone, it cannot be jailbroken with PT.

Your phone is probably in DFU mode. You should be able to get out of it by doing a hard reset (hold down power and home buttons for 5-10 seconds). If this does not work, you may need to use iRecovery to get your phone out of DFU mode.

As I said above, your phone has a tethered jailbreak. There is currently no way to get around that. The best your phone can have is what it had before with blackra1n.

yeah im def staying away form 3.1.3, i JUST tryed restoring to official 3.1.2 and its giving me another error saying this device is not eligible for this build... the phone is DEF a 3gs and the ipsw is DEF 3gs software..jeeeezus

can i restore to 3.0? would that be better?

Apple has stopped signing all versions of the OS except 3.1.3. If the phone has its ECID SHSH saved in Cydia through the "Make My Life Easier" button, then you can restore using Saurik's server to sign. Otherwise, the only version you can restore to is 3.1.3. Your best bet is to do everything you can to get it out of DFU mode.

bigsubmaween

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
hmm, what a wonderful waste of time.

well its strange that i had no trouble with using pwnage to break my 3gs, why is that you think? did this new boot JUST come out?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
Being someone who sees no need or reason to jailbreak:

Why does your father-in-law want to. Or...why do you see the need to? Are you just doing to his what you did to yours?

bigsubmaween

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
well, the unnecessary explanation is, he needs it unlocked. i live in sweden now and hes swedish and has been using a different carrier than telia, 3, or telenor...

what info above should i see?

my phone is stuck in black screen recovery mode, irecovery isnt working either.. :(

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
what info above should i see?

Apple has stopped signing all versions of the OS except 3.1.3. If the phone has its ECID SHSH saved in Cydia through the "Make My Life Easier" button, then you can restore using Saurik's server to sign. Otherwise, the only version you can restore to is 3.1.3. Your best bet is to do everything you can to get it out of DFU mode.

bigsubmaween

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2010
well thats the next problem......i cannot get out of dfu mode, tried everything, ifuntastic, buttons pushed, itunes, nothing works, i have a lovely black iphone

any brilliant ideas?

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
Well, you can restore but you won't be able to unlock. If there's an apple store in your area, or within ur country, that sells iPhones, check to see if it is illegal to sell locked phones in your country. If it is, u can go to ur carrier and ask them to call apple and have ur phone factory unlocked. You will recieve a carrier update option when the request has been processed the next time u plug it into iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.