Losing my mind with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lali, Aug 13, 2016.

1. lali, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

lali macrumors regular

hi everyone,

I need help please!!!! I have done some research about installing windows on my late 2012 iMac but I am getting nowhere.

I run the bootcamp assistant but it hangs during partitioning.

Here are my relevant specs:
    Late 2012 iMac, 8gb ram, 3.4ghz core i7 (i7-3770) Geforce GTX680MX 2GB ram. 1TB fusion drive.

I have read 256,768 posts on the topic and I am losing my mind on finding the right solution. It appears I need a usb 2.0 drive or key. i have tried everything with usb 3.0.

I did download the windows 10 ISO (Win10_1511_2_English_x64.iso)

Having kids shouting in your ears all day while Intry to get this done does not help ehehe.

Does anyone have a fool proof solution to offer? I do not mind spending some money to get it working if it is necessary (for ex: dedicated external ssd etc...) I would thank you kindly.

Lali

2. lali thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    as a follow-up I've re-downloaded a new Windows10 ISO (Win10_1607_English_x64.iso)
    The same result: OSX reboots and black screen: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE-INSERT BOOT DISK AND PRESS ANY KEY.

I would like some guidance please. thanks

3. jerwin macrumors 65816

Search console.app for any messages from Boot Camp Assistant.

4. lali thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Jerwin. Here is the log. I do not know what this means Screen Shot 2016-08-13 at 5.56.06 PM.png :
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2016 ---
    Here is another one:

Attached Files:

5. jerwin macrumors 65816

if bootcamp has partitioned the drive correctly,
    reboot your computer, hold down option key at boot, and select the usb drive that bootcamp assistant has created.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

First, I don't think that a 1TB fusion drive is a good choice for a Boot Camp setup.
    Boot Camp uses just the spinning hard drive part of your fusion drive.
    Should work, but sometimes is a dicey setup.

Anyway. I just did a Boot Camp to Windows 10 install, where I removed what was already there, and re-setup everything. Basically doing what you are doing, on a similar generation Mac, a 2012 mini.
    One thing that I learned today - you can't stop the process somewhere in the middle, and expect to be able to properly boot to the Windows installer. I failed several times, until I simply let the process run on its own from Boot Camp Assistant. I just couldn't get it to boot to the Windows installer correctly, until I patiently allowed the Boot Camp Assistant to get it setup, and into a boot to the Windows installer.
    Boot to OS X, run Boot Camp, which will give you the choice to remove the windows partition, which is your next step. When that finishes (a couple of minutes, probably), then restart your Mac again.
    Run Boot Camp again, and __unselect__ the options to create a USB boot, and download the Windows support software. You already did that. All you need is the choice to install Windows. Setup your partition then. With 1TB available, you can drag the divider to make the space available for the boot camp partition. I would probably use 100GB, unless you expect to use Windows a lot. and Click the Install button. Takes a while to re-partition, then Boot Camp should restart to the Windows installer. Give it time to do this. It will restart on its own, and you should (eventually) see the Windows icon, with the spinning dots - whatever that's called :D
    Choose the install language. You can skip the screen for entering the purchase code for Windows (unless you have that in hand). Then to the install screen where it lets you select the partition. Probably important is the number of partitions that you will see. If the number is MORE THAN 5, then unlikely you can install Windows. Be sure to select the partition with the size that you setup in the boot camp assistant. If you get a warning that you can't install, then you likely need to erase that partition, which you can do right on that screen. Select the correct partition, then click the Format icon. Should come back in a few seconds, and then you should be able to successfully begin installing Windows10. There's a few simple setup screens, and a standard option setup - I think Windows calls it a Quick Setup. Finishes setup, and you should see the Boot Camp driver setup automatically start, just wait for it. Windows will restart several times during all the install/setup.
    You get to learn patience... :D

7. lali thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you ! Thanks for taking the time to help. It finally worked.
    Francois

8. lali thread starter macrumors regular

Well it worked 99%.

I have no sound in Windows 10. Uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled to no avail. The quest continues. Is this a known issue?
    Thanks

9. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What does your Device Manager show under Sound, video and game controllers?
    Right click each item, selecting Update Drivers.

Do the same under Audio Inputs and outputs.

Try the Boot Camp driver install again, from your USB install stick while you are booted to Windows. Open the Boot Camp folder, and run the Setup.exe in that folder. Be sure to restart Window after that install finishes, even if it doesn't require a restart.