Losing Power While in Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nerdeus, Mar 18, 2008.

1. nerdeus macrumors member

So I've noticed this VERY recently.. and this is pretty much happening after I had to replace my MagSafe adapter because the wires were being exposed and the adapter got super hot and stopped working. Anyway, after I got that replaced, I've noticed that my MacBook doesn't keep it's battery life while in sleep mode anymore! I charge it during the day and I use it a little bit before going to bed, and then I close the lid. Usually, when I open it back up in the morning, I still have a bunch of battery life left... now, it open it and it's giving me the Low Battery warning!

I'm wondering if this is because of my MagSafe problem? Or was that just a coincidence and all batteries do that after a while? I've had my MacBook since September 2006.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

It is natural for the battery to be used while in sleep mode as the computer stores its memory in the ram and power is needed to keep that alive. So it is acceptable to lose some battery over that period.

How much are you losing? and I suppose how long do you sleep for?

3. nerdeus thread starter macrumors member

I sleep for about.. 6 hours. And the battery is 75% - 100% full when I put it to sleep. And it goes down to pretty much 0 when I open.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Have you tried recalliberating the battery recently?

5. nerdeus thread starter macrumors member

I don't know what recalibrating the battery is! so i guess no! heh. please explain?

Edit: Ok, I just went on the Apple Support site and looked it up. I guess i'll give it a try. It sounds like it's what I usually do anyway, but I'll follow it to the T. THANKS!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is too a lot but the numbers could be wrong, as suggest calibrate your battery.

Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance

Specifically

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Let us know if that does the trick!

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I have found with some macs that leaving bluetooth on while sleeping can be a big drain. You might give that a try.

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

10. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

I am having this EXACT problem. I zapped PRAM yesterday following advice on this thread. A FULL battery is dead this morning when I tried to wake the MacBook from a full night (~14 hours sleep)