Losing quality with dual monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by podopie, Nov 13, 2008.

1. podopie macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

Long time reader, first time writer. I can't seem to find an answer to this one online so I thought I'd give it a shot here.

Problem: So my macbook is connected to a Vizio VO22L (22 inch) TV screen as a second monitor. Specifically, it is going through Apple's mini dvi to dvi, a belkin dvi to hdmi, and then an hdmi cord to the TV.

One small problem (or two, I suppose): I have two options, neither I'm very content with. Using switchresX, I can achieve the native resolution of the TV, which is a very nice 1680x1050. The picture is sharp and looks great, however my blacks look terrible. I tried playing around with the TV's black level extender as well as color preferences on the computer, but no matter what I do, solid blacks still look blotchy, especially near other colors (reminds me of a poorly done jpeg)

My other option is to run at a "native" 720p or 1080i hdmi setting. Both of these settings look okay, but obviously scaled so it can be smudgy-looking. The advantage of either of these settings (or any other setting available, for that matter) is that my blacks look perfect and not garbled.

So am I stuck in a rut here? I'd really prefer to run at the native but still get those blacks to look clean. I've considered switching to VGA but I'm afraid to lose contrast quality. Any suggestions out there?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might be more interested in the color profiles of the displays then your connectivity.

3. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Unless you have a real 1080p TV, it is never going to look nearly as good as a monitor.

4. podopie thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny, I thought I did this when I first tried this set up about a month ago (hence where I said "played with colors" on top) but I had much more success this time around. Not only do the blacks look better, but everything just looks deeper. I did this a long time ago on my macbook's monitor because the initial settings on those are terrible, but I'm glad this mostly worked out my issues.

Still a little problem with the blacks but at least it's hardly noticeable at normal viewing distance. And native resolution--the joy.