Losing sound with 3.0 beta, just me?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulieORF, Mar 21, 2009.

1. PaulieORF macrumors regular

Hey guys. I have been a registered developer for the iPhone for a couple months now, and installed the beta of 3.0 (after much deliberation) on Thursday. It's actually rather stable, but one thing that's been happening (and I have yet to find anyone else having this problem) is that the phone stops making any system sounds (i.e. text sound, mail sound, music, unlocking and locking, sounds in apps). The only way I can seem to fix it is to power the phone off and on. This has happened about 6 times in the last 2 and a half days. Anyone else here experience this? Also, I never had such a problem with 2.0 so I know it's not a hardware problem.

Thanks, and I hope this doesn't violate the non-disclosure agreement!!!

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I don't think it will change the color of the NDA, but it may violate it.

3. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

it happens if you open the new voice memo app and then close it.

4. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, oops!!

5. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I guess I didn't realize I opened the voice notes app that many times.

6. elbirth macrumors 65816

I've had this happen to me once but wasn't sure what caused it. I've only used the voice memo app once since it happened and I haven't encountered it again, so that does seem very likely the cause, since that app always changes my volume setting when it loads up.

7. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It can happen without opening the voice notes apps as well. I haven't opened the voice notes app, and my sound goes out two or three times a day.

8. phoenixdude24 macrumors member

has happened to two of my phones running 3.0 as well, also has anyone else just had the volume randomly adjust to halfway? like you can be in the call log and it could change the ringer volume from full to half, of i can be in the ipod app scrolling thru songs (with no music playing) and the volume indicator (not ringer volume) comes up and displays half strength

9. Spyt3 macrumors member

Spyt3

This seems to be a common bug.
    i'm pretty sure apple goofed up the audio stack.
    try disabling lock sounds and keypad clicks. yeah, it's a pain but at least your ringer will work.

10. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Yep, except mine goes down to 2 bars, not half. And as far as the sound going out, this is happening to me without opening the voice memo. Also, watch out as the alarm doesn't sound either when the sound goes off, I've missed work once already!

11. ViPa macrumors 6502a

my sound went away for a bit..i rebooted and it came back

12. kman79 macrumors regular

I get the same problem every so often, can't really figure out the root cause. Please do report it to Apple Bug Reporter, the more people report the issue the better the chances of it getting noticed by apple and getting fixed. 3.0 is Beta after all, and they need as much feedback and bug reports as possible to clean up the OS.

13. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

My sound comes and goes. Rebooting will make the sound come back but after some time it will go away. It has seemed to stop happening as often anymore though.

14. PaulieORF thread starter macrumors regular

Just an update. I received a text message, heard the alert, unlocked my iPhone, and the sound was gone. The slider sound didn't happen and then nothing else did.

15. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

It's probably just a coincidence, but ever since I updated the AT&T ipcc file a couple days ago, I haven't had the audio cut out once ...