losing weight

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by freerollin, Sep 19, 2015.

1. freerollin macrumors member

hi guys,

Over the past year i've gained quite a bit of weight and holding a lot of fat on my chest and belly.. Even begun to get stretch marks from it :(

Been trying to think how to get myself back in shape. Jogging is just something i dont enjoy and wouldnt keep up.. Can you guys suggest any activities for me?

I've joined a gym, drinking only water, trying to cut of fast food chains

thinking about buying a fitbit to watch cals, or is there a better cal counter? fo real

Peace out, A town

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

If you don't like jogging, find an activity that you do. Then you are more likely to keep it up.
    Here are a few suggestions.
    Swimming
    Cycling
    Football (soccer)
    Tennis
    Squash
    Badminton
    Go to the gym
    Aerobics
    Step classes
    Dancing

See if your friends do any of these and join them.

3. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Try walking, it is less stressful on joints than jogging. Also look into joining a walking club, it will motivate you.

4. cub850G2 macrumors regular

cub850G2

Walking has worked for me as well as a lot of biking, I also keep a journal of how much I walk and ride a bike everday and rarely take breaks from exercise. I still eat out some, but when I do eat out I more often opt for chicken instead of beef and try to eat less then I used to. I also try to eat more healthy foods, but that is quite hard to change. I've almost entirly cut out soda as well and rarely have a soda anymore. So far I've lost 38lbs since June and I've done this all by myself pretty much but I do use this site to track how much I walk: https://www.mapwalk.com/ and it can be used to find how much you've biked as well. I'm sure there are some apps that could help out better.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

If you joined a gym, don't they have people who work there who can advise about activities? The question seems more like a guessing game: name something other than jogging that I might like.

As to the losing weight part, this is something you should first discuss with your physician. Seriously. You should probably have a physical exam, too, unless you had one done within the past year. That way you can discuss things like family history of heart disease, personal medical history, recent EKGs, any injuries you might have that you haven't told us about, and so on.

6. E3BK, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015

E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

If you joined a gym, definitely take some cardio classes, a dance class, kick boxing anything that'll get your heart rate up. Alternate that w/ strength training. You don't need to go crazy on the weights and there a lots of YouTube videos on how to create a circuit that suits your needs. Don't overexert yourself! You will build up your stamina & strength over time. You just have to stick with it. I don't belong to a gym anymore but I have an elliptical at home as it's easier on my knees and instead of weights, I use bands. Don't knock those workout videos. I'm not talking PX90 or anything like that but there are tons on Amazon for different levels. See if you can find one you like.

To lose weight, you have to create a deficit of 3500 calories. There are some great websites out there to learn about this stuff. But basically you should track your calories and what you burn in workouts. I have really really liked MyFitnessPal. It does a great job of tracking your calories if you are vigilant about entering your food. You get used to to it and it's not really a burden once you're in a groove. You can enter recipes in addition to the really large database of food to choose from. It can sync with other apps that track workouts or you can enter your own. It can also help you set goals based on YOUR body because everyone is different. The community is also really great. You can ask tons of questions in the forums and everyone is supportive.

Also, if you are trying to lose a significant amount of weight, not just vanity weight, @chown33's advice of seeing a doctor is important.

7. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

try out the ellipticals and the treadmills. you don't immediately have to start running on the treadmills, for starters try walking/jogging at a speed your comfortable with then as you progress increase the speed or the height(incline). me personally, i do 45min to an hour of cardio switching between the ellipiticals, treadmills and bike. and like what has been mentioned before like cycling or call some buddies and do some flag football.

8. invisibleshoes, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

May not be relevant, but alcohol beverages have an awful lot calories...

10. RossMak macrumors 6502

RossMak

Download myfitnesspal and log all your meals on this I found this great when losing weight. It really makes you think about if you really need that last treat when you see how many calories you've consumed.

I know you don't like running and I hated it also, but I stuck with it and now love it!

11. TheLondonFella, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2015

TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

At gym, get on the bike.

I do 20 minutes at the end of my workout & I'm sweating real good!

It's also great for tightening up the glutes & upper legs.

STOP ... EATING ... BREAD!

Bread is the worst thing for gaining fat.

The golden rule ... if you don't buy it, you can't eat it!

Just steer clear of junk food when grocery shopping. Or, if you REALLY fancy something "naughty" then buy just one, and only one of whatever.

Another option is to go veggie. I've been veggie for about 9 years, and I definitely lost weight after cutting meat out of my life.

It's a shame you don't like running, as it's a great way to lose weight. It gets addictive, though, so why not persevere with it and see it you get "the bug"? I was never a runner, but now I love it.

I only recently returned to gym after an 8 week forces rest, following emergency surgery to repair an umbilical hernia, and the excision of a benign tumour in the back of my head just 2.5 weeks after that! I thought it was all over, but I fought & persevered and I'm getting my shape back.

If I can do it, you can do it.

Good luck, buddy ...

Damn right!

And the oestrogen causes man boobs!

That's why many drinkers have them ...

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The concept of losing weight is easy - at least on paper. The implementation of weight loss in practice can be quite difficult.

What I found successful, is a solid workout regiment, but that can be hard to do, at least initially. Eating smarter is the but one piece of the puzzle, exercise is the other. I recommend starting off slow in both cases, I've known too many people who jump into the deep end of the pool, so to speak (going crazy on cutting back food and trying to run a marathon on day 1). They usually burn themselves out.

People put weight on slowly, and its even harder to come off, the transformation will not be fast, but it will be noticeable if you start off slow and start making a habit of exercising

13. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I trained Muay Thai for about a year & a half, some time back.

It's a great way to lose weight, and build confidence.

It's a very effective form of defence, too, as there aren't many "moves" to learn so you pick it up very quickly.

You can train for an hour & a half, and not even realise you've sweated bundles & lost a fair amount of fat as it's so enjoyable.

Google to see if there are any "classes" in your area ...

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

My wife and I did 21 day fix and it work wonders. I lost 15 lbs in 21 days.

It's a combination of eating right, watching portions and working out. I actually ate more with the program and I eat like a pig. Mostly cutting out carbs and sugar, and eating a lot of protein, vegetables and a little fruit.

Just remember number one rule in losing weight is watching what you eat.

15. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Easiest thing to start doing is cutting out fast food, soda, alcohol, etc. start with cleaner eating. If it's a struggle to do more activity the simplest thing to do is start walking. Taking at least a half hour walk every day can do wonders. You don't need to make a complete 360 immediately but by doing small things at first and increasing as you go can make a difference. Best of luck to you!

16. SHNXX macrumors 68000

Just download stronglifts and power lift.
    And reduce calories.

Cardio and walking are not effective and don't build muscle which will accelerate fat loss

17. throAU, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Also, cut booze, drink water not garbage. Take stairs instead of the lift, maybe park at the far end of the carpark rather than looking for a space right at the door. All i've basically done and lost 10 KG in the past 6 months

edit:
    it's satire, not intended to be taken seriously :D

And yes, protein (and fats) rather than carbs helps too.

There's no magical way to lose a heap of weight fast, but actual life changes will help over time.

As above, having unreasonable expectations and attempting to undo a lifetime of poor nutrition and lack of exercise in a few weeks is just going to burn you out.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I lost a lot of weight by running, I'm not sure you can make a blanket statement saying that cardio/walking is not effective.

I know a number of people who cannot run, but are able to walk and that in of itself had provided positive results as well, albeit smaller reduction in weight over a slower period yet it was a positive result.

Btw, I'm not knock weight lifting but just mentioning that there's more then one way to skin a cat.

19. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

agreed, same goes with me; i still hate running but i drop a lot of weight doing cardio, cutting sugary drinks, beer, and lowering my carb intake.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love running and so it came fairly naturally for me.

On the other hand, I hate weight lifting. I usually avoid it at all costs :p I still do strength training but its mostly in a cardio class setting, i.e.,, doing push-ups, squats and what not.

Everyone is different, I have some friends that spend hours at a gym lifting weights and it shows, but they're just as much amazed at me going out for a 5 mile run in January when its 16 degrees.

We're all different and we all have our own set of strengths and weaknesses :)

21. c8rlo macrumors 6502

c8rlo

i'm totally the opposite, i love lifting weights and i like running on the treadmill; just hate running outside...:rolleyes: so, i always do cardio before doing weights and on rest days i'm riding my fixed gear.

22. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I meant efficient, not effective. My bad.

Weightlifting is more efficient way in terms of time you need to spend vs walking or cardio.

23. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

To be more specific, you need to create a deficit of 3500 calories to lose fat equivalent to 1 pound; as long as there is a deficiency, even if it's a smaller one, you will still lose weight albeit a little slower. Generally it's been advised to try not to lose more than 2 pounds a week, but I assume that's a generalization as there may be heavier people out there who are losing more than 2 pounds in a week perhaps through water weight alone. YMMV, but be careful there.

Tracking calories is important as well, but weight loss can be accomplished without it if you are careful enough. Fruits and vegetables are important as good sources of fiber, and protein is quite important as well. Personally, I go on a low-carb "diet" where my carbs usually come from the vegetables I eat, but I won't purposely avoid carbs if I'm out and eating with friends. It can be difficult, especially living in Asia where rice and noodles are everywhere.

Well... yes and no.

Cardio (which includes walking) is more effective at burning calories and fat than weight lifting based on time spent on the activity. However, cardio is only good at burning fat while you're doing it and so for some people if they end up falling off the exercise train, it's easier for them to put weight back on. The benefit of weight lifting is that it increases muscle mass which can help offset muscle loss that can occur from cardio and more importantly it increases the amount of calories you burn in general since muscle is more calorie "thirsty" than fat.

Ultimately, both cardio and weight/resistance training have their benefits and those looking to live a healthy lifestyle should look into incorporating both into exercise regiments. At the same point in time, everyone's different and can do whatever they like/works for them, and the more important thing is to find something that you enjoy and can stick with rather than just trying to do what people tell you is "best" and end up quitting because it's too difficult or you just end up losing interest.

24. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Long time ago I used to be a swimmer for more than 10 years...
    What I've learned from it among other stuff, - it needs actually only 2 things to keep yourself fit:

1. Sport or workout (any kind will do, as long it has to do with movement)
    2. Eating habits (which is even more important one)

About the eating, my coach always told us: "you can eat everything, what flies or swims and you gonna be good".
    In other words, it is about eating more birds, like chicken, turkey and any kind of fish.

Just try to avoid eating too much fat and heavy meat, like pork or even beef, and, of course, anything fried.

25. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I agree- for most people changing exercise or eating habits alone is not enough to loose weight. Without exercise, you have to cut 500 calories/day to loose 1lb/week. You can speed things up if you start burning calories those calories though exercise. @wchigo has good suggestions.

Cutting carbs and portion control are good places to start. @Even Longer has sound advice about protein. Stay away from saturated fats and definitely transfats.

Most people realize they cannot go from being a couch potato of 20 years to an marathon runner. Similarly, though often less realized, it's very difficult to suddenly uproot your diet in place of something different. Gradually reduce portions and/or new, healthier foods in place of other things.

As others have suggested, you need to find a diet program that works for you- otherwise it's not sustainable. Pace yourself at making the lifestyle changes necessary to achieve your goal.

I have a metabolism faster than the speed of light and naturally my appetite is not ravenous. It's not that I'm anorexic and don't want to eat, I enjoy eating, but if I don't consciously remind myself to eat I'll just forget. Two days later I'll wonder why in so tired. If I don't exercise and eat right, I can easily become underweight.

Right now I swim about 2-3 miles 4 days a week. I have a messed up back so it's just about the only sport I have left that doesn't cause a dreadful amount of pain, but I love it. I also do Yoga which I really recommend if you've never tried it. It's a great way to ease yourself back in physical activity if you've been stagnant for a while.

Best of luck.