Losing wifi connection constantly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaZe3, Jan 31, 2010.

1. DaZe3 macrumors member

I have a linksys wireless N router and my macbook pro constantly loses connection to the internet. Is anyone else experiancing this problem?

2. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

I've been getting this issue whenever I go home since we have a Linksys N router(I have a D-Link router whenever I'm at school) and the only solution is restarting to get the connection back.

3. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Yes. I've been searching the Apple forums and various 2Wire forums for answers awhile now... my setup:

MacBook Pro 15" (latest revision, all updates)

Using AT&T-Uverse with a 2Wire gateway (3700-series)... I've tried changing the wireless channel (after having scanned nearby wireless network channels to make sure there wasn't overlap), changing the wireless protocol (b+g, b only, g only), and changed the order of network adapters used first in Network Preferences and reset the PRAM.

I'll be on the internet when all of a sudden the connection drops (airport icon shows that it's searching for a network), after 30 seconds the connection will resume, then 5 minutes later loses connection again. Rinse and repeat. Sometimes airport won't reconnect on its own (the icon will have exclamation mark) and I'll have to restart the gateway, restart my computer, etc.

I've decided (not determined) that it's due to the 2wire gateway or setup... or something particular about my home wireless network because when I'm at school I have zero problems with my connections through airport. I've basically given up at this point and have made do with the regular outages while at home.

4. DaZe3 thread starter macrumors member

I googled this problem and i heard something about it being a problem with the drivers

5. misschung macrumors newbie

I've heard a few people say that MBPs have wireless issues. Is that true? At my job, people with Macbooks have a harder time connecting to our network than those w/PC laptops.

I plan on setting up a wireless network at home when I get my new Macbook. Now I'm nervous.

What solves this problem?

6. DaZe3 thread starter macrumors member

7. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

Solution maybe?

Yo

I had a problem with my Netgear wireless N router and macs (iMac running leopard and Macbook Pro running snow leopard)

Check for router firmware updates and well as updates for your mac and apply them. If your connection still drops then try logging on to your router and select a specific wireless channel other than auto under wireless settings. it worked on my netgear therefore it might work on linksys.

Also what Mac operating system are you running?

8. Pees330 macrumors 6502

I have a problem with my MBP and 2Wire router at my apartment at school. The connection drops every few minutes and it takes up to a minute to come back, but I mostly have an ethernet cord plugged in on my desk. At hope I have a D-Link router and there are no wireless problems with my MBP.

9. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

A question I would have for you would be have you tried connecting to other wireless networks other than your own with success? You want to rule out if it's the router that's causing the issue or not.

I used to have this problem constantly with my Fios wireless router. I found that after I simply resetting the router to the default settings, changing the SSID to something else, and changing my WPA2 pre-shared key, everything was then fine. I believe it had something to do with the fact that initially I used to constantly tinker with the router settings.

10. Drizz macrumors newbie

Mine drops its connection at home so often ive reverted to using a network cable now and forgetting wireless!

11. shatal macrumors newbie

My brother had the same problem until he changed the network security protocol from WPA2 to WPA .

12. Silencer macrumors member

Silencer

Its all down to playing around with your router settings.

13. roozbeh macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the same problem here with a MBP and a Linksys WRT160NL router. I experienced the same problem at other places but don't know what wifi router they have.

could it be a hardware issue?

14. kukheart macrumors regular

kukheart

I have F****** Time Warner Cable and I Constantly have to go under network and go under Advanced and under TCP/IP and Renew DHCP Lease at least two or three times to pick up the signal and then it works. I'm kind of lucky I've had my Airport Wireless Router for probably 6 years now and it's still working.

15. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

i've rented at least 3 different unibody macbooks from my university and none of them had this problem. currently have time warner cable & WRT54G linksys model. have you guys tried updating your router models to the latest firmwire? random but my internet would always d/c if someone went on youtube or something. once i updated my router to the latest firmwire, everything went fine.