Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
I have an iMac G5 and my Airport card loses the network connection for like one second every 10 minutes. Any way to configure an automatic reconnect (so I can download while I'm away, for example)?

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
when you say your imacs losing connection how'd you know this? is the signal going to blank in the top right bar, or are you on internet or instant messenger and just keep getting signeed out?

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
gangst said:
when you say your imacs losing connection how'd you know this? is the signal going to blank in the top right bar, or are you on internet or instant messenger and just keep getting signeed out?

Sometimes both, sometimes IM and internet just stop connecting.
And my BT client also tells me I've lost connection.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
pusman83 said:
Sometimes both, sometimes IM and internet just stop connecting.
And my BT client also tells me I've lost connection.

that means you have some type of interference.

802.11b/g is between 2.4 - 2.4385 GHz and bluetooth is on 2.45 GHz.

Best guess is without knowing more details is something in that frequency range is causing you the loss of signals. it probably either a 2.4 GHz phone, or a WAP. Although, a WAP wouldn't explain the bluetooth.

get http://www.macstumbler.com and see what channels the near by wifi spots are on. 1,6, and 11 are the channels you want.

it also could be a power problem in your mac.

pusman83

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Sorry, BT is Bittorrent, not Bluetooth :eek: .

It doesn't reconnect automatically. The little wave turns grey and I have to click on it and select the network again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.