Losing wireless network connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CharlesLewis, Jul 12, 2009.

1. CharlesLewis macrumors newbie

I am running into a headache with my wireless network connections. When I close my laptop to put it to sleep, I often lose my network connection. It is easy enough to reconnect; I simply try to connect to a web page, get network diagnostics, and re-enter my password (and click on the "remember password" box).

All works great -- until I next close the laptop. It happens all the time at one site, sometimes at home (using Time Capsule), and seldom at the church where I volunteer.

I have checked all my settings and can't figure out what's going on. If my poor memory is correct, I didn't use to have this problem, but it has been going on for the last couple of months. I know I could keep the sucker open, but I want to save power by putting it to sleep -- and the desk where I work at home has a sliding drawer so it has to be closed to close the drawer. (And my network connections are all in the desk also.)

Can anyone help? I've posted this question to the Apple forum but haven't gotten any replies there other than a couple of followup questions. I am using Time Capsule as my router and I have updated the software.

Thanks,

Charles

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Check your Network settings in System Preferences. While selected on Airport hit the Advanced button. On the screen that comes up you should see 3 check boxes at the bottom. Make sure the first one is selected (remember networks joined) and that the second one is not selected (disconnect from wireless when logging out). That's at least one idea.

3. CharlesLewis thread starter macrumors newbie

That's how I have it

I should have mentioned those settings earlier. I already have them set that way.

Thanks

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One other idea that I've seen mentioned for wireless issues. Try creating a new location in the Network preferences and set things up as normal and see if that location has the same issues.

5. CharlesLewis thread starter macrumors newbie

I've set up a backup network and we'll see what happens. I should know more by the end of the week.

Thanks.

6. CharlesLewis thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work

OK, I set up the alternate network but the problem continues.

I'm still open for suggestions. Am I the only one who has had this problem?

7. irmscher macrumors newbie

Same here

i also suffered from this same problem when i first got my mac!
    tried everything and in the end bought a "N" router and has never happened since?
    dunno if this will sort your problems, but sorted mine......
    hth
    Andy

8. CharlesLewis thread starter macrumors newbie

What is a "n router"? Is this a replacement for Time Machine or an addition?

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Most people have 802.11g and the new standard coming out is 802.11n. It's simply the next generation in wireless routers. Transmits faster and farther.