Loss Of Headphone Output G4 PPC 400 Mhz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by harcosparky, Jan 20, 2009.

1. harcosparky macrumors 68020

This is an older G4 Powermac 400mhz CPU

When playing a song in iTunes, the internal speaker works fine.

When a headphone ( we tested the headphone ) the internal speaker shuts off and there is no audio in the headphones.

In SYSTEM PREFERENCES when looking at AUDIO/Output the indicators switched from Internal Speaker to Headphones so it seems to sense a headphone was plugged in.

According to the user it was working and just stopped.

Any help would be appreciated.

THANKS

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Headphone jack i.e. hardware, sounds busted. Internal pins bent out of shape.

3. harcosparky thread starter macrumors 68020

I thought about that, but in between the time it was working and stopped nothing was unplugged or plugged in.

I eve tried to slowly insert the headphone plug to see if I hear any sound at all. Nothing heard, and the plug felt normal when inserted.

If I cannot find a simple answer I may tear into it and swap out the jack, I have a dead logic board from another old G4 I can salvage from!

4. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Craigslist is littered with 350-450mhz G4s for $25 and under. That system, you're probably just better off picking up another working one. I don't think that's worth the time to desolder and solder another speaker port on there when it could very well just be the motherboard itself that's going.

5. harcosparky thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks - we've been watching the local Craigs List. it seem there are many of them around when you don't want one, but when you do they disappear!