Loss of iPhoto due to upgrade

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jayess, Jan 18, 2016.

1. jayess macrumors newbie

A friend of mine was persuaded by her grandchild to upgrade from ML to El Capitan and, of course, discovered that iPhoto was disabled since that particular version is not supported by El Capitan. I cannot find any version of iPhoto still available in the App Store to reinstall on her Macbook. Does this mean that Apple is cutting the ground from under our feet to force us to use it's clunky, limited, IOS look-alike apps?
    I note from some of the postings on this forum that I am not the only one getting a bit fed up with Apple. Over the last few years every upgrade seems a step backwards, giving us problems with hardware and software that just wont work anymore, if this continues I will give serious consideration to changing to Linux.
    I realise it is probably futile, but has anyone been able to get iPhoto back again?

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

It's called Photos now and should be in your Applications folder by default. You can import your iPhoto library into it.

3. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I have a working iPhoto v9.6.1 and El Capitan OS 10.11.2. I also have iPhoto listed under my Purchased tab in the App Store. It is no longer available new, but your friend may be able to get the latest/last version 9.6.1 using the purchased tab. Your friend may have to move the iPhoto app out of the Applications folder (do not do anything with the iPhoto Library in the Pictures folder) so the App Store will not see the iPhoto app and allow it to be re-downloaded.