Loss of metadata when exporting from Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheSailerMan, Apr 10, 2007.

1. TheSailerMan macrumors member

Apr 22, 2006
    New York, New York
    So I am currently in the middle of a 30 day trial of Adobe Lightroom, and I am enjoying the experience so far, except for one glaring issue.

I intended on exporting my photos from Lightroom into iPhoto when I finished editing them. However, I have found that exporting from Lightroom has caused the photos to lose their metadata! :eek:

When I import the photo into iPhoto, no metadata appears to be attached to the photo, and even if I re-import it into Lightroom, the metadata is gone! :mad:

I'm shocked that exporting a photo would erase it's metadata. I am by no means a professional photographer, but for organizational reasons, I use it.

Am I doing something wrong when I export? :confused:
    I don't have the "Minimize Embedded Metadata" box checked, so that's not the problem.
  2. technobear macrumors newbie

Mar 13, 2007
    what format are you exporting to? what data are you missing?

exporting to a format that allows metadata (e.g. jpegs) retains the metadata.
    - otherwise, you would need to use xmp sidecars (which iphoto does not support).

i use exporting to jpeg all the time (also without mini metadata option) and get both camera data and keywords
    - i verified this by looking at file into in finder.
    - i also did a test for you, and found that if i imported these jpegs into iphoto, iphoto then had both the camera data, and the also the keywords.

(im using LR 1.0, which is register - though its identical to trial)
  3. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    Odd, my EXIF works fine. Or are you referring to IPTC (which I don't think iPhoto supports)?
  4. TheSailerMan thread starter macrumors member

Apr 22, 2006
    New York, New York
    Okay, so I tried exporting a couple of photos again (the trial is on its last legs :(). I got some metadata to show up, like the camera model, aperture, etc.

However, the "Original Date" field is still empty, which is the one field I really wanted filled in. :mad:

Thanks for the advice though. :)