Loss of Screen Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dgbarar, Dec 14, 2015.

1. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

I am operating OSX 10.11.2 on 2 MacBooks (rMBP and MBA) and on a late 2014 MacMini with OS X server installed. I use either of my MBA or rMBP to "control" the Mac Mini through Screen Sharing.

I am always able to Screen Share with either of my MacBooks after I reboot. However, if for some reason i take one of the MacBooks offline for awhile or leave the network and come back to resume Screen Sharing to control the Mac Mini, I get an error message that tells me the Mini is not available.

To restore the ability to screen share, I have to reboot the MacBook.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem as I would prefer not to have to re-boot.

Sincerely,

Donald Barar

2. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

After you receive the error telling you that the Mini is not available, have to tried to reconnect to the server through Finder.

Finder >> Go >> Connect to Server

I sometimes lose my connection (same as you) and this fixes it. Although it is not a permanent solution, it does work (for me).

Hope it helps.

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Just tried your connect to server suggestion with the correct address. However, I get a "problem connecting" message and the "server may not exist or is not available". Incidentally, I have the Preferences for energy setting set to "Wake on Network Access" and also never put disks to sleep.

4. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

I have the same “Wake on Network Access”, but I allow the server to put the drives to sleep. Yet, I still get that connection back when I want it.

But, I should state that I am running Mavericks Server and Mavericks on the desktop, so our experiences may differ.

Good Luck

Edit: Maybe give the Server Forum a try, they have way more experience than me.

5. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi PS,

Thanks for the suggest of putting this on the Server forum.

Don