Loss of Screen Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dgbarar, Dec 15, 2015.

1. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi All,

I am operating OSX 10.11.2 on 2 MacBooks (rMBP and MBA) and on a late 2014 MacMini with OS X server installed. I use either of my MBA or rMBP to "control" the Mac Mini through Screen Sharing.

I am always able to Screen Share with either of my MacBooks after I reboot. However, if for some reason i take one of the MacBooks offline for awhile or leave the network and come back to resume Screen Sharing to control the Mac Mini, I get an error message that tells me the Mini is not available.

To restore the ability to screen share, I have to reboot the MacBook.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this problem as I would prefer not to have to re-boot.

Sincerely,

Donald Barar

2. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

try checking the power settings and see if wake on LAN is turned on

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Hilbert,

Tried that. Also, have the drives so they can not be put to sleep and so the display can not turn off event though there is monitor attached. Unfortunately, I still lose the ability to screen share.

Don

4. Eric M, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015

Eric M macrumors member

This happens quite often in my enviroment as well. You can try two things that usually resolve this for me (on the Mac I'm connecting from):

Step 1 --> Relaunch Finder - Command+Option+Escape, select Finder and press Relaunch - this usually does the job on its own, if it doesn't, try step 2...

Step 2 --> Command+K and then in the " Server Address" type: VNC://<YOUR MAC NAME OR IP ADDRESS HERE> and Connect

If you have SSH enabled on the Mac you're trying to connect to, you can also try restarting the VNC service:

Step 3 --> SSH into the host and issue the following command:

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/kickstart -restart -agent

Then attempt Step 2 again.

Some more info HERE

5. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi Eric,

Thank you for some terrific suggestions. I will give them a try.

Donald Barar

6. Eric M macrumors member

No worries. Please let me know if any of the suggestions resolved your issue, if not, we can look at some other options...