Loss of sound

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Sep 8, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I was listening to music in iTunes and I heard a pop from my speakers and then there was no sound at all, even though a song was still playing. I tried to play other songs in iTunes but there was no sound so I restarted iTunes and clicked on a different song, heard another pop and the music came back again.

Any idea what caused this to happen? The log files reveal nothing apart from this in the console.log - "missing or invalid cross-reference stream." Not sure if it's even relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated! I've had the computer for about 3 months and this is the only time that this problem has happened.

Disk utility gives this ominous message -

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file _CACHE_003_
    (It should be 43 instead of 47)
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    ,"Checking Catalog hierarchy.",0)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume The volume ntosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

Note how it says "The volume The Volume ntosh HD needs to be repaired" That's the actual message it gave me.

So, I tried disk utility again a few minutes later and it now tells me that the Volume passed verification. I have also verified my permissions but it didn't tell me what it had fixed this time, it just said permissions had been repaired.

When this happened I was in a chatroom that used flash on Firefox. Not sure if this maybe have caused the problem.

I recently registered with Apple Care, maybe it's time to run Tech Tool Deluxe?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, repair the drive. You can boot from the OSX discs and use that version of Disk Utility to do this for you. Continue running the repairs until it makes no changes. :)

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM