Loss of USB Audio Interface on Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dembo, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Dembo macrumors regular

Dembo

Hi all,

I suddenly lost the sound output on my Caldigit Thunderbolt Station 2 connected via Thunderbolt to my Macbook Pro. Music just stopped without any crashes. I rebooted (just to be sure) and I don't see the "USB Audio Codec" as a selectable output option anymore. Everything else (connected drives) works fine but I kinda suspect a hardware defect of the TS2. I don't have a second Macbook with Thunderbolt ports so I am unable to test a different machine/installation - any ideas on how to diagnose the problem? Should I be able to see the USB Audio Interface in System Information?

Regards,
    Chris

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Yes you should see the device listed in the audio system preferences. You should also see the device in the about mac > more info > system report > USB (the audio chip is a USB audio) Usually listed as a AM107x in the device tree. It would also be listed as a device in the audio tree, either as a Thunderbolt Combo or USB Advanced Audio Device.

You can try power cycling the dock, and then check on the warranty or contact Caldigit tech support.

3. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Thank you ColdCase - as expected there isn't any audio interface and/or USB device listed so this is probably a hardware defect. The unit is less than a year old, so I contacted Caldcgit's support for repairs/replacement - no answers yet, but I keep you guys posted how things are developing.

4. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

If you are running El Capitan, this is not the first report of USB cutting out, and it is not just with Caldigit TS. Though some report it happening with other TS's, it also has happened when plugged into the computer's USB port. All you have to do to bring the USB back is unplug and replug the cable.

My own experience has been it happens with my Caldigit TS (1st edition), not very often, but annoying when it does. And it has happened once when plugged into my computer's USB port. It does seem to have decreased in frequency as El Capitan has received point updates. My computer is a Mac Pro 2013, and it has a weird USB setup anyway. The Intel chipset does not natively suppport USB 3, so they included a Frescoe Logic USB controller to provide USB 3 ports. I wonder what USB chipset is in the Caldigit TS (and probably the other similar TS's)?

5. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

Just an update: I did follow HenryAZ's recommendation and unplugged the TS2 multiple times. In addition I tried a different Thunderbolt cable (just to be sure) and booted the MBP into Windows 8.1. In no case did a USB audio interface show up. CalDigit's support confirmed that this is most likely a hardware problem and they are issuing an RMA for me. I'll let you know how my experience with CalDigit's support is.

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

By "unplug and replug the cable", I was referring to the USB cable, not the TB cable. In my case, it is the USB cable that feeds my DAC.

7. Dembo thread starter macrumors regular

Dembo

To make absolutely sure I tried everything I unplugged every cable connected to the unit - didn't help. In addition: I am using (or used, since that seems to be the part that broke down) the DAC built into the TS2. The TS2 AUX port ist then connected to an active 2.1 speaker system.